I have adjusted a lot of the code that I posted earlier but nothing seems to work, I put in the code to show all errors and I am not getting any errors returened after I fixed the single minor misstype of adding an extra "(" into the code, i am now faceing a completely blank div with no ideas left as to where to even start looking for the problem

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 1);

include 'conect.php';

$deets = $_POST['deets'];
$deets = preg_replace('#[^0-9/]#i', '', $deets);

$events = '';
$query = mysql_query('SELECT description FROM events WHERE date = "'. $deets .'"');
$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($query);

if($num_rows > 0)
{
    $events .= '<div id = "eventsControl"><button onClick = "overlay()">Close</button><br /><br /><b>' . $deets . '</b><br /><br /></div>';

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($query))
    {
        $desc = $row['description'];
        $events .= '<div id = "eventsBody">' . $desc . '<br /><hr><br /></div>';
    }
}
echo $events;
?>

this is the events.php, this is not comunicating properly with the show_details function in my show_calendar.php

function show_details(theId)
{
    var deets = (theId.id);

e1 = document.getElementById("overlay");
    e1.style.display = (e1.style.display == "block") ? "none" : "block";
    e1 = document.getElementById("events");
    e1.style.display = (e1.style.display == "block") ? "none" : "block";

var hr = new XMLHttpRequest();
    var url = "events.php";
    var vars = "deets=" + deets;

hr.open("POST", url, true);
    hr.setRequestHeader("content-type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded");

hr.onreadystatechange = function()
    {
        if(hr.readyState == 4 && hr.status == 200)
        {
            var return_data = hr.responseText;
            document.getElementById("events").innerHTML = return_data;
        }
    }
    hr.send(vars);
    document.getElementById("events").innerHTML = "Processing...";
}

can anyone please spot what i am missing? these two are suposed to be comunicating and for some reason they arent. i will post also the code that calls the show_details()

for($i = 1; $i <= $day_count; $i++)
{
    $date = $showMonth . '/' . $i . '/' . $showYear;
    $query = mysql_query('SELECT id FROM events WHERE date = "'.$date.'"');
    $num_rows = mysql_num_rows($query);

if($num_rows > 0)
    {
        $event = "<input name = '$date' type = 'submit' value = 'Details' id = '$date' onClick = 'javascript:show_details(this);'>";
    }
    echo '<div class = "cal_day">';
    echo '<div class = "day_heading">' . $i . '</div>';

if($num_rows != 0)
    {
        echo "<div class = 'openings'><br />" . $event . "</div>";
    }
    echo '</div>';
}

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@GraficRegret

ut in the code to show all errors and I am not getting any errors returened after I fixed the single minor misstype of adding an extra "(" into the code, i am now faceing a completely blank div with no ideas left as to where to even start looking for the problem

There should be a an error. Try the following:

Try to put or die(mysql_error()); on here:

$query = mysql_query('SELECT description FROM events WHERE date = "'. $deets .'"');

From this:

To this:

$query = mysql_query('SELECT description FROM events WHERE date = "'. $deets .'"') or die(mysql_error());

Same for this line add or die(mysql_error()); on here too:

From this:

To this:

$query = mysql_query('SELECT id FROM events WHERE date = "'.$date.'"') or die(mysql_error());

I will try that thanks, the only part of the for statment that I am questioning however is this

$event = "<input name = '$date' type = 'submit' value = 'Details' id = '$date' onClick = 'javascript:show_details(this);'>";

namely, the "onClick" call, the rest of the for statment goes off without a hitch.

namely, the "onClick" call, the rest of the for statment goes off without a hitch.

Are you trying try ajax the data from the db?

I'm not familiar with javascript.

But this looks wrong to me:

onClick = 'javascript:show_details(this);

It should look something like this:

onClick="showDetails('<?php echo $this;?>');

Also try double qoutes instead of single qoutes

The function it is calling is a javascript function which I am familiar with, the call is acurate, its the other end that I am kind of questioning, following the code trail you will see that your php code would not work with the way the code is set up.

I am kind of questioning, following the code trail you will see that your php code would not work with the way the code is set up.

What is (this)?

Right now, is there any errors now? I mean when you put or die(mysql_error()); on those query did any errors appear?

If there's no error, then your db and query is connected then the issue would be in javascript.

I hope that answer your question regarding why there's no errors in the php part.

in javascript when you refer to function_name(this) it refers to the object that said function is attached to, or the object that the mouse is clicking on. I will be able to let you know if there are any errors after a bit i just got into the office.

still no errors being reported

Hi,

Did you try changing this

to this?

$query = mysql_query('SELECT description, date FROM events WHERE date = "'. $deets .'"');

still no errors being reported

If there's no error from the connection. Try reorganized this statement:

From this:

Try this:

$event = "<input type ='submit' name='date' value='<?php echo $_POST['date']; ?>' onClick = 'javascript:show_details(this);'>";

Let me know how this goes.

I will give that a try, im going to close this threead though as I am being asked to move on from this problem to another project and come back to this later, Thanks for all your advice.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.