Hi, I am facing these problem. I gt 4 category. So for each category, I want to count number of people in each of it.I already have the query but i dont know how to put it in array with $i =$i +1 to count it when no of people increase in the category. I really hope you can help to generate the pie chart.

<?
$result= array("SELECT *  FROM ray, hello,category WHERE 
    ray.hello_id = hello.hello_id AND hello.category_id = category.category_id AND
  category.category_id= '1' ");

$i =0;
 while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)){
 $result[$i] = $row[0];
 $i=$i +1;

}

<html>

<head>
    <title>hello</title>

<link class="include" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="jqplot_files/jquery.jqplot.min.css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="jqplot_files/examples.min.css" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/styles/shCoreDefault.min.css" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/styles/shThemejqPlot.min.css" />

<script class="include" type="text/javascript" src="script/jquery-1.6.2.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/shCore.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/shBrushJScript.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/shBrushXml.min.js"></script>

<script class="include" type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/jquery.jqplot.min.js"></script>
    <script class="include" language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/plugins/jqplot.pieRenderer.min.js"></script>
    <script class="include" language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/plugins/jqplot.donutRenderer.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/example.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
        $(document).ready(function(){

var data2 = [
            [<?php echo $row1['category_name']; ?>,<?php echo $row[0]; ?>],
            [<?php echo $row2['category_name']; ?>, <?php echo $numrows02; ?>], 
            [<?php echo $row3['category_name']; ?>, <?php echo $numrows03; ?>],
            [<?php echo $row4['category_name']; ?>, <?php echo $numrows04; ?>]
          ];
          var plot2 = jQuery.jqplot ('chart2', [data2], 
            {
              seriesDefaults: {
                renderer: jQuery.jqplot.PieRenderer, 
                rendererOptions: {
                  // Turn off filling of slices.
                  fill: false,
                  showDataLabels: true, 
                  // Add a margin to seperate the slices.
                  sliceMargin: 4, 
                  // stroke the slices with a little thicker line.
                  lineWidth: 5
                }
              }, 
              legend: { show:true, location: 'e' }
            }

Edited by narai

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pritaeas

You can change the query to get the count per category:

SELECT category.category_id, COUNT(*) AS usercount
FROM ray, hello, category 
WHERE ray.hello_id = hello.hello_id 
AND hello.category_id = category.category_id 
AND category.category_id= '1'
GROUP BY category.category_id
ORDER BY category.category_id

ok after i count each of the category, how can i put it as array to put as pie chart??

This will assign an array called categories with the keys being the cat name and the values being the count of records that match that category.

<? 
$result= mysql_query("SELECT *
                FROM ray, hello,category 
                WHERE ray.hello_id = hello.hello_id 
                    AND hello.category_id = category.category_id
                    AND category.category_id= '1' ");
 while($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){
     $categories[$row['category_name']]+=1;
 }
?>

Then when you are converting to your javascript array I would use something closer to this

var data2 = [<? foreach ($categories as $name => $count){
                echo '['.$name.','.$count.'],';
            }?>];

i got error for this line

[<? foreach($categories as $name)=> $count]{

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in C:\xampp\htdocs\hello.php on line 104

Im still confused since i gt 4 category. I alr have the query for each category.So could u please help me with the while loop with each query and how to echo itInline Code Example Here

$result=mysql_query( "SELECT *  FROM ray, hello,category WHERE 
  category.category_id= '1' ");

$result=mysql_query( "SELECT * FROM ray, hello,category WHERE 
  category.category_id= '2' ");

category.category_id= '3' ");

category.category_id= '4' ");

$categories [$row['category_name']]+=1;

}

?>

<html>

<head>
    <title>hello</title>

<link class="include" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="jqplot_files/jquery.jqplot.min.css" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/styles/shCoreDefault.min.css" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/styles/shThemejqPlot.min.css" />

<script class="include" type="text/javascript" src="script/jquery-1.6.2.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/shCore.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/shBrushJScript.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/syntaxhighlighter/scripts/shBrushXml.min.js"></script>

<script class="include" type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/jquery.jqplot.min.js"></script>
    <script class="include" language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/plugins/jqplot.pieRenderer.min.js"></script>
    <script class="include" language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="jqplot_files/plugins/jqplot.donutRenderer.min.js"></script>

var data2 = [
            [<?php echo $row1[category_name], <?php echo $row1[]; ?>],
             [<?php echo $row2[category_name], <?php echo $row2[]; ?>],
              [<?php echo $row3[category_name], <?php echo $row3[]; ?>],
               [<?php echo $row4[category_name], <?php echo $row4[]; ?>]
               ];

{
                }
              }, 
            }
          );

});

</script>

</head>

<body>

<div id="chart2" style="height:300px; width:500px;"></div>

<a href='Back.php'>Back</a>

</body>
</html>

<?php
 }
?>

close but....

(category.category_id= '1' OR category.category_id= '2' OR category.category_id= '3' OR category.category_id= '4')");

}

?>

<html>
<head>
<title>hello</title>
var data2 = [<? foreach ($categories as $name => $count){
    echo '['.$name.','.$count.'],';
}?>];
{
}
},
}
);
});
</script>
</head>
<body>
<div id="chart2" style="height:300px; width:500px;"></div>
<a href='Back.php'>Back</a>
</body>
</html>
<?php
}
?>

Per the error that you got, you put an extra ) in the code I had supplied that caused the error.

Ok, i have done the same codes as shown above but there is error:
Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\hello.php line 34

In my code, line 34 refers to these code:

}

Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\hello.php line 34

That means your query has failed. Use:

$result = mysql_query(...) or die(mysql_error());

to find out why.

sry again..nw i have insert the die mysql error but nw the error shows that there is no database selected when actually i have already include my dbFunctions.php. I hope you could help me with this problem =(

<?php
include("dbFunctions.php");

(category.category_id= '1' OR  category.category_id= '2' OR  category.category_id= '3' OR category.category_id= '4')")

or die(mysql_error())
;

}
 ?>

If it says you haven't, you haven't. Most likely the connect fails and thus the select database too. Add checks there too (with the or die construct).

how to add check inside the die construct? im sry im nt really gd at this..could u please help me?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.