Can anyone explain me better the conpcept of the webservice. I'm using wamp for a school project, i'm creating an adress-book with JSON and AJAX. The Deitel's one if you have encounteered it before. I have the deitel's code and simply want to implement it in my website. It's requesting webserviceurl. The site i want to create is in php. I have attached the script and highlighted the things i don't understand.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hope this explains it:
In a simple sense, webservice is a standardized way for you to provide data and communication to your other software or a 3rd party software.
Like in your php code and your js code, how will the js code understand your php code?

So in this line i should provide the path of the php file, where i have done the connection with the database?
var webServiceUrl = '/AddressBookWebService/AddressService.asmx';

That specifically is just a declaration of a variable and assigning a string. But yes, if you're going to connect and fetch data to that webservice URL of yours. :)

One more thing please, what parameters should i pass here? Thanks in advance
** function callWebService( method, paramString, callBack )**

Based on the code you provided,

Method:

• getAllnames
  • search
  • validateZip
  • validateTel
  • addEntry

Param:

• Any array of an object with a param and value properties.

callBack:

• Anonymous function

Note: Please do mark this as solved once you think your query's been answered.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.