Hi All, new to Javascript and stuck on a small issue, its a little late and my head is not thinking straight.

The scenerio is I have two textboxes and a submit button. All i want is the values to transfer to a function so i can change 2 global variables. I have managed to 'document.write the values from the function, but cant seem to do anything else with them. Below is the code

var Jspeed=200;   //Global variables that I want to change
var CSpeed=200;

function changeSpeed(ClownSpeed, JuggleSpeed) {

ClownSpeed = Cspeed;
 JuggleSpeed = Jspeed;
}

<form>
  <p id="controlText">Enter Clown Speed: </p> <input type="text" id="ClownSpeed" > <br />
  <p id="controlText">Enter Juggle Speed:</p> <input type="text" id="JuggleSpeed">
  <button type="button" onclick="changeSpeed(ClownSpeed, JuggleSpeed);" >Change Speed</button>
</form>

I would also like to know if this is the right apporoach to things. Im new to this so I would like to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks to all in advance!

Ryan

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Evil_genius82

I suggest you do it like this:

var Jspeed=200;   //Global variables that I want to change
var CSpeed=200;

// This will get the values as string
    CSpeed = document.getElementById('txtClownSpeed').value; 
    Jspeed = document.getElementById('txtJuggleSpeed').value;

// Convert to int: it will throw error if the value is not an number
    CSpeed = parseInt(CSpeed);
}

<form>
  <p id="controlText">Enter Clown Speed: </p> <input type="text" id="txtClownSpeed" > <br />
  <p id="controlText">Enter Juggle Speed:</p> <input type="text" id="txtJuggleSpeed">
  <button type="button" onclick="changeSpeed();" >Change Speed</button>
</form>

Just so you know, in your code there's a lot of errors, let me show you:

// This is setting the value of parameter as the value global var, not the opossite
 // Another thing, JavaScript is case sensitive, so CSpeed is different then Cspeed
 ClownSpeed = Cspeed;
 JuggleSpeed = Jspeed;

// You were expecting CSpeed = ClownSpeed
}

<form>
  <p id="controlText">Enter Clown Speed: </p> <input type="text" id="ClownSpeed" > <br />
  <p id="controlText">Enter Juggle Speed:</p> <input type="text" id="JuggleSpeed">
  //ClownSpeed is not an value, it's a object
  //To use like this you it should be: changeSpeed(ClownSpeed.value, JuggleSpeed.value)
  <button type="button" onclick="changeSpeed(ClownSpeed, JuggleSpeed);" >Change Speed</button>
</form>

Thanks for your fast reply! That information helped me a lot! There are so many ways of acomplishing something but only one professional way. Thanks for putting me in that direction. Everything is working perfect now!

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.