I am writing a live chat function for a client, I have everything working up to the point of entering the conversation into a table on the server, however when it comes to ajax and jquery, I am still trying to get the basics down so here is my chat room code

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<?php
session_start();
include 'conection.php';

$name = $_GET['name'];
$query = "SELECT * FROM chatSession WHERE user_name = '$name'";
$result = mysql_query($query, $con) or die(mysql_error());
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

if(isset($_GET['submitmsg']))
{
    $message = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['usermsg']);
    $throw = "INSERT INTO chatRoom(session_id, source, message, timestamp) VALUES('".$_GET['id']."', '".$_GET['source']."', '$message', UNIX_TIMESTAMP())";

if (!mysql_query($throw,$con))
    {
        die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
    }else
    {
        //loadLog();
    }
}
?>
    <head>
        <title>Platinum Motor Group-Live Chat</title>
        <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="css/chatStyle.css" />
    </head>
    <body>
        <div id="wrapper">
            <div id="menu">
                <p class="welcome"><b>Welcome, <?php echo $row['user_name']; ?></b></p>
                <p class="logout"><a href="nameSub.php?logout=true&name=<?php echo $row['user_name']; ?>&id=<?php echo $row['session_id']; ?>">Exit Chat</a></p>
                <div style="clear:both"></div>
            </div>
            <div id="chatbox">
            </div>
            <form name = "message" action = "<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method = "get">
                <input type = "hidden" name = "name" value = "<?php echo $_GET['name']; ?>" />
                <input name = "id" type = "hidden" value = "<?php echo $row['session_id']; ?>" />
                <input name = "source" type = "hidden" value = "<?php echo $row['user_name']; ?>" />
                <input name = "usermsg" type = "text" id = "usermsg" size = "63" />  
                <input name = "submitmsg" type = "submit"  id = "submitmsg" value = "Send" />  
            </form> 
        </div>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            $(document).ready(function()
            {
                //setInterval(loadLog, 5000);
            });
        </script>
    </body>
</html>

I am wanting the information to show up in the chatbox div, here is the code I am using to retrieve the information

include'conection.php';

$sess = $_get['sess'];

$get = "SELECT * FROM chatRoom WHERE session_id = '$sess'";
$hold = mysql_query($get, $con) or die(mysql_error());

I am quite uncertain if any other information is needed, if it is then please let me know, the only thing that I am certain of when it comes to the code I need to write is that I need to target the function and the chatbox div, going over the information on w3schools.com, I am still a bit confused on how to accomplish any of this. Thank you in advance for any information or code you can provide.

so many views with no replies, am I missing something that is needed for someone to say something?

Member Avatar for LastMitch

so many views with no replies, am I missing something that is needed for someone to say something?

You have to understand it's has nothing with your issue.

I help other members too and someone members have issue are harder than others.

I haven't really look at your post til now but it's more related to PHP rather than javascript.

I mean if you have post this question in PHP maybe someone can help you but you post it here at javascript.

You have to keep this in mind even though you post it here(javascript) some members might not be familiar with PHP at all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.