Hi Folks,

I have a web application developed in Classic ASP. After the user successfully logs in, the "main page" of the application stays on the screen (all other functions are done in DHTML/CSS pop up windows). The main page contents are updated with jQuery, so the page never physically refreshes, but the first lines of code on the page are:

<%
Response.Expires = 0
Response.CacheControl = "No-cache"
Response.AddHeader "pragma","no-cache"
session.Timeout = 540
%>

That session timeout should last 9 hours. But every once in a while, when a user clicks on a function (which pops up a window and checkes if the session is still valid) says the the session expired. So they have to log off and back on, kind of a pain.

On the server I have IIS (Server 2003 SP2) configured so that folder is an application, with the following settings:
Enable Session State (checked) = 540
Enable Buffering (checked)

I have it assigned to it's own application pool, with these settings:
Recycle Worker Process (checked) = 1740 (not really sure what this does)
Shutdown work processes after being idle (unchecked)

Can anyone suggest why the sessions sometimes end? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

That session timeout should last 9 hours.

Because you set session.Timeout = 540

540 minutes / 60 minutes = 9 hours

Recycle Worker Process (checked) = 1740 (not really sure what this does)

It means 1740 minutes equal 29 hours.

You can read more about this:

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

I understand the time breakdown in minutes. I don't understand why the user sessions timeout, sometimes within an hour, for no clear reason.

I think I will disable the recycling process of the application pool and see what happens. At least then I know it's not the pool recycling causing the session timeout.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.