I have an update form where there is a student record that has a picture as well as other info. It is with the picture that I am having a problem. The form has a file field with id="picture" name="picture" and then a simple dynamic record call to display the picture right below this file field. The problem is, if I am not updating the picture itself, the entry for the picture in the database gets removed, presumably because I had not entered anything into the file field. The code that controls this is:

((isset($_POST["picture"]))?$_POST["picture"]:"")

It appears that this code says "I there is a posted value from the picture field, add this to the SQL update statement. If not, leave it empty. It removes the entry. What I need is that if I have not selected a new picture, the old picture record is left as is. As it is now, the picture gets removed if I do not reselect it as part of the update.

Can post more code if necessary.

Dave

Edited by filch: missed content

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by diafol

It sounds like what you are saving is that you are performing a SQL update and you are updating the table with a null (or similiar) value for the picture field thereby removing the existing picture.

probably a bit more code is needed to understand the logic/workflow.

Yes that is correct. Here is the insert code in case this helps.

<?php 
// WA Application Builder Update
if (isset($_POST["Update_x"])) // Trigger
{
  $WA_connection = $rsSayRadio;
  $WA_table = "personalities";
  $WA_redirectURL = "personalities_Detail.php?id=".((isset($_POST["WADAUpdateRecordID"]))?$_POST["WADAUpdateRecordID"]:"")  ."";
  if (function_exists("rel2abs")) $WA_redirectURL = $WA_redirectURL?rel2abs($WA_redirectURL,dirname(__FILE__)):"";
  $WA_keepQueryString = false;
  $WA_indexField = "id";
  $WA_fieldNamesStr = "firstname|lastname|timeslot|day|status|semesteryear|semester|season|bio|daySort|email|facebook|twitter|show_length|picture|bio_link|show_url|show_desc|other_url|other_desc";
  $WA_fieldValuesStr = "".((isset($_POST["firstname"]))?$_POST["firstname"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["lastname"]))?$_POST["lastname"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["timeslot"]))?$_POST["timeslot"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["day"]))?$_POST["day"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["status"]))?$_POST["status"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["semesteryear"]))?$_POST["semesteryear"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["semester"]))?$_POST["semester"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["season"]))?$_POST["season"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["bio"]))?$_POST["bio"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["daySort"]))?$_POST["daySort"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["email"]))?$_POST["email"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["facebook"]))?$_POST["facebook"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["twitter"]))?$_POST["twitter"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["show_length"]))?$_POST["show_length"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["picture"]))?$_POST["picture"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["bio_link"]))?$_POST["bio_link"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["show_url"]))?$_POST["show_url"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["show_desc"]))?$_POST["show_desc"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["other_url"]))?$_POST["other_url"]:"")  ."" . "|" . "".((isset($_POST["other_desc"]))?$_POST["other_desc"]:"")  ."";
  $WA_columnTypesStr = "',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|none,none,NULL|none,none,NULL|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|none,none,NULL|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''|',none,''";
  $WA_comparisonStr = " LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | = | = | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | = | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE | LIKE ";
  $WA_fieldNames = explode("|", $WA_fieldNamesStr);
  $WA_fieldValues = explode("|", $WA_fieldValuesStr);
  $WA_columns = explode("|", $WA_columnTypesStr);

$WA_where_fieldValuesStr = "".((isset($_POST["WADAUpdateRecordID"]))?$_POST["WADAUpdateRecordID"]:"")  ."";
  $WA_where_columnTypesStr = "none,none,NULL";
  $WA_where_comparisonStr = "=";
  $WA_where_fieldNames = explode("|", $WA_indexField);
  $WA_where_fieldValues = explode("|", $WA_where_fieldValuesStr);
  $WA_where_columns = explode("|", $WA_where_columnTypesStr);
  $WA_where_comparisons = explode("|", $WA_where_comparisonStr);

$WA_connectionDB = $database_rsSayRadio;
  mysql_select_db($WA_connectionDB, $WA_connection);
  if (!session_id()) session_start();
  $updateParamsObj = WA_AB_generateInsertParams($WA_fieldNames, $WA_columns, $WA_fieldValues, -1);
  $WhereObj = WA_AB_generateWhereClause($WA_where_fieldNames, $WA_where_columns, $WA_where_fieldValues,  $WA_where_comparisons );
  $WA_Sql = "UPDATE `" . $WA_table . "` SET " . $updateParamsObj->WA_setValues . " WHERE " . $WhereObj->sqlWhereClause . "";
  $MM_editCmd = mysql_query($WA_Sql, $WA_connection) or die(mysql_error());
  if ($WA_redirectURL != "")  {
    if ($WA_keepQueryString && $WA_redirectURL != "" && isset($_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"]) && $_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"] !== "" && sizeof($_POST) > 0) {
      $WA_redirectURL .= ((strpos($WA_redirectURL, '?') === false)?"?":"&").$_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"];
    }
    header("Location: ".$WA_redirectURL);
  }
}
?>

This code is from the Web Assist app builder, hence the WA references in the code.

Dave

Edited by filch: missed content

So, the issue seems to be:

It is inserting "" into the picture field on the update when a new picture has not been selected. Unlike my other fields, I have a file field to facilitate uploading pics when I am not able to populate with the field content info when the user opens the update page. So I think I need one of two solutions: either some other value to pass to the db other than "" if no new picture is selected or, a way to put the filename of the pic into the fileupload field when the user opens the update page. I think the first option would be better ...unless someone out there has a much better idea than mine? (likely :-)

I think the first option would be better

I would beleive that the best approach is not to include that field in the SQL UPDATE statement when you detect that $_POST["picture"] is null or "". I can't think of any of way to handle this scenario.

Isn't that what this code is doing though?

Dave

Yes, but if its null, then you dont want a null value to be included in the UPDATE statement.

You wouldnt want that field to be included at all in your SQL update statement.

The picture should be $_FILES['picture'] surely?

Anyway, as Jorge says, if the field is blank/null whatever, just leave it off the SQL. You can build up your SQL in steps as you know.

//Say we have this...
$setList = "`field1` = '$value1', `field2` = '$value2', `field3` = '$value3'";
//let's say that $newimage contains the path of a new image - but is empty if no image uploaded
if($newimage) $setList .= ",`image` = '$newimage'";

$sql = "UPDATE table SET $setList WHERE ...";

Edited by diafol

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.