This seems like a silly question but I would like some opinios on how I should tackle this project.

I have a client who needs a website with SSL and the ability to make payments, fill in forms, etc for visitors.

I have many years of experience in database development, ASP.NET, jQuery, HTML, CSS, etc. mostly at my job.

This client is going to want to be able to edit the content themselves. My question is: what is the best way to go about creating this site for them? Should I use a pre-existing CMS engine like WordPress and code ontop of that? Should I build the CMS myself from scratch?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Should I use a pre-existing CMS engine like WordPress and code ontop of that? Should I build the CMS myself from scratch?

How much time do you have?

Should I build the CMS myself from scratch?

This can be answered pretty easily by applying a cost/benefit analysis to your dilema.

Does it make sense for you to write your own? Aside from the time it would take, are you going to be able to take advantage of custom features in the core of your product that other's do not and will it give you a competitive advantage? If yes... then yes you should.

I have about 3-4 months. Problem is I've never used a pre-designed CMS system... are they are fairly easy to setup, configure, and use? Will I still be able to code features like quotes etc?

Problem is I've never used a pre-designed CMS system... are they are fairly easy to setup, configure, and use?

A lot easier than writing one, I assure you.

Makes sense, so I'm going to try out a CMS then.

What CMS would you recommend I look into? As I said I'm mostly a ASP.NET/C# guy... although I do know a little PHP and Java.

Also, do I build a website then import it into the CMS or do I use a CMS and build the website?

Thanks for the advise/help everyone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.