Hello All,

My old computer crashed. I installed XAMMP on my new computer. My old PHP files don't run. I learned that the reason is that register_globals feature has been deprecated and is now permanently Off by default. My old files were written in a 'register_globals=On' environment. I understand that one results is that the superglobals, such as $_POST[], no longer carry HTML form variables into the PHP area. I need to update the code of my old files to accomodate this change.

I reviewed prior threads related to the 'Undefined Index error' that is given when trying to use $_POST[] in PHP 5.3 and higher. But found only two over the past 5 or 6 weeks. One did not generate any replies, and the other generated only one reply that was incorrect.

In Internet searches, I have seen suggestions of using FILTER_INPUT() with functions called INPUT_GET or INPUT_POST. I have not been able to grasp how to use them to carry HTML form data to PHP variable for some type of processing.

How can I process form data without using the old superglobals? How can I update my old files with a minimum of re-writing?

Thanks in Advance.

Nathaniel

Contributors
Replies
Views
2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Nathaniel10

$_POST is available
a superglobal, it is not affected by the register_globals directive
perhaps the error is elsewhere in your code

Edited by almostbob

$_POST[] works fine on php 5.3.x , global varibales are disabled from day I've learned PHP :P

Hello All,

Thank you for responding to my question. I had to set it aside for a few weeks because oher things in life intervened. I am learning program part-time. This is not ideal becuase you really need to be immersed in it, but my current circumstances do not permit a heavy time committment.

I recently found a solution to my problem. My old computer had the php.ini file set to suppress error reporting. XAMMP has a default of setting for error reporting to include E_NOTICE. My code was wrong, or at least weaker than ideal, but PHP didn't report the weaknesses. I was using variables before verifying that they existed.

In XAMMP the weaknesses are being reported. As it is better practice to report errors, I needed to improve my code. I found two receommendations; one using isset() and the other using array_key_exists(). I chose the array method. So my prior code of:

$phpvariable = $_POST['htmlformvariable'];

is now:

$phpvariable = array_key_exists('htmlformvariable', $_POST) ? $_POST['htmlformvariable'] : NULL;

And I have no more notices.

I also discovered there is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding in the cyberspace regarding PHP best practices. One must be very persistent and diligent in order to find what one needs.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.