I input the previous inputted values via php variables into the value section of the input tag, but when I go to modify it and update it to the database, the value still stays the same. Is there anyways to combine the two , so that for instance when a user wants to update their listing they could? Thanks.

Re: Adding Default value of Input Form and New Input from Form. 80 80

post some code

the value in the db stays the same?
the value on the form doesn't get updated?

need a little more info

<?php
include('mysqli_connect.php');
echo"Success";
echo '<a href="?logout"> Logout? </a>';
if(isset($_GET['logout']))
{
header ("Location: enter_passcode.html");
}
if(isset($_GET['pass']))
{
$pass=$_GET['pass'];
echo 'pass is set';
$set="SELECT title, ad_body, contact, zip_code, price, email FROM ads WHERE password=SHA1('$pass')"; 
$gets=mysqli_query($dbc,$set);
$results=mysqli_fetch_array($gets,MYSQLI_BOTH);
$contact=$results[2];
$ad_body=$results[1];
$zip_code=$results[3];
$price=$results[4];
$email=$results[5];
$title=$results[0];
echo "GET is set".$pass;

}else{ echo 'Get is not set';}
?>
<html>
<form method="post" action="post.php">
Title:
<input type="text"  name="title" value="<?php echo $title; ?>" size="30" /><p>

<textarea name="ad" rows="10" cols="40" size="150" >
<?php echo htmlspecialchars($ad_body); ?>
</textarea><p>

<input type="hidden" name="passcode" value="<?php echo $pass ?>" size=12 />

Zip Code :<input type="password" name="passcode" value="<?php echo $zip_code; ?>" size=12 />
Contact:<input type="text" name="contact" value="Enter a website,email, phone number, or other contact detail customers can use to contact you. " size=120/>
<p>Price:<input type="text" name="price" value="$<?php echo $price; ?> " size=50/>
Email:<input type="text" name="email" value="<?php echo $email; ?>"size=50/>
<input type="submit" name="Submit" />
<input type="hidden" name="submitted"/>

</form>

</html> 

Which is then posted to here:

<?php 
include('mysqli_connect.php');
if(isset($_POST['contact']) && isset($_POST['passcode']) && isset($_POST['email']) && isset($_POST['price']) && isset($_POST['title']) && isset($_POST['ad']))
{
$pass=$_POST['passcode'];
$email=$_POST['email'];
$price=$_POST['price'];
$title=$_POST['title'];
$contact=$_POST['contact'];
$ad=$_POST['ad'];
$w="UPDATE ads SET email='$email', price='$price', title='$title', contact='$contact', ad_body='$ad' WHERE password=SHA1('$pass');";
$select=mysqli_query($dbc,$w);
if(!empty($select))
{

echo "Success";
}else{echo "Fail";}
}

?>

Hello vivosmith , your code would be a happy place for anyone (no skills needed) that would like to harm your server. Take a look at https://www.daniweb.com/programming/web-development/tutorials/499320/common-issues-with-mysql-and-php . Secondly your variables luck of meaningful names. There are many more out there but I will jump to your question.

Have you tested (through echo , debug , error_log or what ever) what is the value of $w variable ?

Thanks. This is just a prototype in my XAMPP environment, and I did add mysqli_real_escape_string to the first page, but I will need to add it to the second. The passcode is a unique ID akin to save passwords for games. I plan on cross refferencing the email sent with the passcode to make sure it matches with the email, otherwise you are screwed. Or I could make a seperate password and rename the current password ID. I am still working on it yet.

As for output, when I check, it does change to whatever I edit it as, but it does not get uploaded to the databse. Weird. I will check the DB connection.

Figured it out. I had copied passcode to use as a template for other inputs, but forgot to rename it, and used the zipcode instead. Then in a panic I took out the ' ' from the variables in the SQL query, which resulted in NULL. I was able to get it to finally show on the databse so I am set to go. Might need to change a few things, but at least I have an almost working prototype. :) After I get everything set up I will work on getting security to be a bit tighter :) .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.