Is it good idea/possible to encrypt everything in your database (Emails, User Input, Passwords :), everything.. )?
Is there something which will shut down the current PHP script OR website entirely ?

EDIT: This is not sponsored queston i have not donated any money, why is Sponsored badge at my question ?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The sponsor badge appears also if you have received positive reputation points. From the green banner here in the page:

Questions asked by members who have earned a lot of community kudos are featured in order to give back and encourage quality replies.

Now:

Is there something which will shut down the current PHP script OR website entirely ?

Do you mean a maintenance mode?

I know there is a way to encrypt the connection to the database server, and I believe there is a way to encrypt the actual contents of the database on disk. However, as for actually encrypting each and every individual column with a two-way algorithm, it's not something I would recommend. Performance would suffer and, as long as your database is well protected, it's really unnecessary.

However, I shouldn't speak. We got hacked last year. After it happened, I really looked into all different ways to beef up security. Our passwords were encrypted in the database and they were safe. Either way, I'm not going to recommend it for every column ... just important ones like passwords. NEVER store passwords as plaintext.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.