It is said on the following link:
Using the strpos() function
The strpos() function is used to search for a string or character within a string.

If a match is found in the string, this function will return the position of the first match. If no match is found, it will return FALSE.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/php/php_strings.htm

Isn't the following supposed to output to screen "FALSE" ? I do not see this happening.

<?php
  echo strpos("Hello world!","s");
?> 
Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Months
Discussion Span
Last Post by AssertNull

Worked for me. It returned a zero.
How did I test that?
echo strpos("Hello world!","s")==0

Also works. (adding with edit.
echo strpos("Hello world!","s")==FALSE;

Edited by rproffitt: Clarifying

In addition: it happens because it's boolean FALSE which is converted automatically to an empty string, you won't get a string FALSE, for example:

echo "FALSE"; # string, printed
echo 'FALSE'; # string, printed
echo FALSE;   # boolean, empty

From the manual:

A boolean TRUE value is converted to the string "1". Boolean FALSE is converted to "" (the empty string). This allows conversion back and forth between boolean and string values.

Link: http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php#language.types.string.casting

In your case you can write:

$pos = strpos('Hello World!', 's');

if(FALSE !== $pos)
{
    # success
}

else
{
    # not found
}

Edited by cereal

Just for fun, time to see why we would use triple equal signs here.

<?php
echo 1, strpos("Hello world!","s")==FALSE, PHP_EOL;
echo 2, strpos("Hello world!","s")===FALSE, PHP_EOL;
echo 3, strpos("Hello world!","s")==0, PHP_EOL;
echo 4, strpos("Hello world!","s")===0, PHP_EOL;
?>

I'm confused why PHP chose to return FALSE rather than -1 (not found) like C++ (string::npos) here. It's returning an index. Why bother mixing types? What's the advantage? A negative integer representing an obviously non-existent index if not found or a non-negative integer representing the real index if found seems more intuitive than an integer if found and "FALSE" if not found. To me at least.

Edited by AssertNull

Votes + Comments
One of the things that bothers me too in PHP.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.