Greetings.
I'm very new to asp and I encountered this little problem.
I have 2 files -> home.html & process.asp
In home.html, there are some input textfields.
In process.asp, I have inserted a textfield also.
I tried to post the form in home.html to process.asp. I managed to get the data with this little line:

<% =Request.Form("yyyy1") %>

However, when I tried to insert the value in =Request.Form("yyyy1") into a textfield in process.asp, it says

Error Type:
Microsoft JScript runtime (0x800A1391)
'service' is undefined
/chm/Calculator/process.asp, line 39

For your information, service is the textfield's name.
Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Err, sorry guys, I think I've figured it out already.
Anyway, 1 more problem here: same scenario, 2 files -> home.html & process.asp
Is it possible for me to do the data validation in home.html after the user presses SUBMIT, any errors must be corrected before submitting the form again to process.asp?
P.s: process.asp is another pop-up window.

Err, sorry guys, I think I've figured it out already.
Is it possible for me to do the data validation in home.html after the user presses SUBMIT

Yes, but you'd have to use JavaScript to read the values of the text field. Even if you did this, it would not be secure enough because I could create my own form and view it from my home computer, submitting directly to your process.asp, which leads to my next answer...

any errors must be corrected before submitting the form again to process.asp?
P.s: process.asp is another pop-up window.

Why don't you validate within process.asp? It's safer.

Error Type:
Microsoft JScript runtime (0x800A1391)
'service' is undefined
/chm/Calculator/process.asp, line 39

This error is strange. Are you using VBScript for your ASP page? If so, why does it give you a JScript runtime error? Do you have JScript running by default rather than ASP? Just curious.

Finally, I got a reply. I have done most of my coding, except for validation. I'm stuck! I am using ASP with jscript. The reason I do the client-side validation is because, based on what I have read about client-side validation, it's faster & only the correct data will be sent to the server to do further processing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Err, I was using the Search feature provided by this forum & searched for
-> "client-side validation" & I got into the .NET Framework/ASP.NET forum. I realised that the problem posted there is similar to mine & so I posted my codes there. Would u mind checking it out over there? I apologize for the inconvenience.

Actually, client side validation is a nice thing to use, but should NEVER be relied upon.

Consider those that have JavaScript turned off!! How will you validate then?

I always handle validation on the server, as it makes more sense. If you know there is an error in the input, you just load up the form again (and because this is server side, there is no javascript) and can also do clever things like highlighting the problem input element.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.