Hello,

I want to embed a mail server on my computer. For that purpose I've installed MDaemon v9.5.3 on my computer. Now what else do I have to do in order to send/recieve mail from different people? Should I have to change configuration settings in "PHP.ini" and/or "httpd.conf"?

I always get an error like this whenever I use mail() function :
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 550 <RecipientAddress@domain.com>, Recipient unknown in C:\Prog\SERVER\DocumentRoot\SendMail\Send.php on line 69
The code on line 69 is mail() function of PHP.

My system :
WinXP
Apache 2.0
PHP 5
MDaemon 9.5

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for Rhyan

If you are using WinXP pro, you should think of installing IIS with SMTP services on. IIS is MS native web server, including HTTP, FTP and SMTP server. Still you can install only the SMTP server.

Then, set your php.ini to send mail via the localhost. If any additional setup is needed to be performed consult the php manual.

Then your mail function should work normally.

This is about sending e-mails. In order to receive mails, though, you should have your computer's IP registered as a domain in order other people's mail servers to find it.

If you have e real internet IP people may be able to send you mails like this:
e.g. your ip is 1.2.3.4
people could mail you to you@1.2.3.4

commented: Thank you. +1
[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = me@example.com

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
;sendmail_path =

; Force the addition of the specified parameters to be passed as extra parameters
; to the sendmail binary. These parameters will always replace the value of
; the 5th parameter to mail(), even in safe mode.
;mail.force_extra_parameters =

This is a block from PHP.ini file.
Are the settings which I must change any of these?

And...
I'm using WinXP Home Edition.
This is the relevant Apache settings in httpd.conf file :

ServerName www.localhost.com:80
Member Avatar for Rhyan
[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = me@example.com

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
;sendmail_path =

; Force the addition of the specified parameters to be passed as extra parameters
; to the sendmail binary. These parameters will always replace the value of
; the 5th parameter to mail(), even in safe mode.
;mail.force_extra_parameters =

This is a block from PHP.ini file.
Are the settings which I must change any of these?

And...
I'm using WinXP Home Edition.
This is the relevant Apache settings in httpd.conf file :

ServerName www.localhost.com:80

Yes, these are the settings, however IIS is not available on home edition. You may look over the internet if you can download and install a stand-alone IIS server on WinXP Home. Meantime, here is a simple phpclass that substitutes the php mail functions. All it needs is a valid smtp server that you normally can login and send mail from.

http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/

You can use your own e-mail if you want for testing purposes.
A simple tutorial is available on the page I have sent to you.

Basicly, you have to require the script from your mailing form, and it will do the rest for you. You can set it on any server as part of your website. It does not need installation - it is as simple as creating your own mailing script.

Regarding your mail server, or whatever the program you have installed. If you cannot send mail, maybe you have not configured a DNS server. You can use your internet providers DNS servers to resolve e-mail hosts in order to send mail from your program.

Check the program's manual for instructions how to set the DNS server addresses for sending mail.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.