Hey guys, I am currently an undergraduate student in computer science and I have recently developed a strong interest in the concepts of reflection and biologically inspired programming.

First, a little background, I was an undergrad at a different university for about 3 years studying zoology and biology. Though I followed this through in to a career, I am still very interested in biology.

Ever since one of my professors briefly mentioned biologically inspired programming (he also mentioned reflection in the same tangent which caught my attention by association.) I have been very interested in learning more about these two concepts. I really like the idea that those 3 years spent studying something so radically different than computer science could actually be of some use.

So far, in computer science I have really only been introduced to one language, then, before getting very well acquainted I've been shuffled along to the next language. I would really like to take a class that puts the "science" back in computer science and takes a deeper look at the theory behind programming in general (how does programming work, why does it work, what language is best at doing which task and why). Because I have yet to find such a class, I may be unready to face more advanced concepts like the ones mentioned above.

Is anybody else in to this sort of thing? How did you learn about it? can you recommend any good readings on this?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

computers are bloodyminded, therefore programmers have to be extremely bloodyminded to to coax them into doing any work whatsoever.
In fact, programming comes down to convincing the computer it's better to do as it's told than to be thrown out a 5th story window.

That's all you need to know, the rest is just engineering.

actually, forget that last paragraph in my post, I just want to know if anyone knows of any good articles on biologically inspired programming, meta objects, or reflection.

"Reflection" is unknown beast to me. But i am a bit familiar with some biologically inspired classic methods,- such as genetic algorithms, evolution strategy optimization method, neural networks, cellular automaton.
For classics you can start from here (huh, maybe you know already this ?), anyway-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biologically_inspired_computing#Areas_of_research

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.