Hello

I had put a question before about the editions of Java and the difference between them and the reason for my question is that I want to work through an android project and I think that before beginning in the project I must know how to write code in Java.

My question here, and I post the same question in the Mobile Developement forum, is related to the project the project is a program that teaches children letters and how to write them by showing a video for every character and how to write that character for the child and then there will be a test for the child to write that letter if the child passed the test writing the letter successfully the program moves for the next character, otherwise, the video that shows how to write the character that the child failed to write it correctly showed again.

What are the things that are advised to read to be able to work of such a project?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You need to understand the syntax of Java really well, and the concept of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP). This is essential to create applications using java and once you are knowledgable of this, you'll have to install android-sdk and play around there to get used to actually putting up code with interactions from mobile users to it

Really, the only significance between "pure" Java and Android is the virtual machine that runs the byte code the respective compilers generate. For Android, that is called Dalvik. Its compiler generates different byte-code than that of native Java, and so requires a different virtual machine to interpret it. The source code can be the same, but the pseudo machine code that the compilers generate is different.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I would recommned not doing it. I think the programming cycle has come full circle, or eventually will do so at some point.

The whole idea of java working on all operating systems is now a flawed idea, in my opinion, in this day and age - more so for resource deprived hardware such as mobile phones. Native is the way forward.

Take a look at this thread I recently started.

https://www.daniweb.com/community-center/geeks-lounge/threads/491581/java

That's his opinion - my opinion is opposite.
The "resource deprived hardware" phones he talks about have more memory and compute power than the mainframes I learned on. Every new verison of a phone is faster and more powerful than the previous. Hardware isn't the problem. More functional, more intelligent, more elegant, less buggy, less hardware-dependent software is where people compete - and that requires high level languages and tools. Maybe not Java, maybe Swift or whatever, but certainly not "native" anything.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.