Hello there. I would like to know if there is a way to write files to my server without CHmodding a certain directory. I have an auto-update script that downloads a .ZIP from my main server, and then extracts those file to the corresponding directories on the current server. However, I'm getting a permission denied error:

Warning:  ZipArchive::extractTo(../../../../index.php) [ziparchive.extractto]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/vhosts/cms.com/httpdocs/cms/includes/modules/update/actions/update.action.php on line 149

I don't get this error after CHmodding the directory to 0777. But I don't want to CHmod ALL my directories. That wouldn't be safe, would it? Is there a workaround? Something to change in my PHP settings?

have you tried doing a chown apache:apache actions? (assuming that apache is running as user apache)

No I have not :). What does that do? Change the owner of the files? Thanks for the reply!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.