Hi Dani,
If it is not allowed to have signature link or avatar, I think it can be easily removed from forum setting.
Just because I replied to a post where jwenting called me subhuman ,now he is taking revenge by giving unnecessary infraction.

As a DaniWeb moderator, I've cited this post as violating the following rule: Keep It Spam-Free

your profile, your signature, and most of your posts, are all spam or supporting of spam.
Change or begone.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

You are not the first person to say that jwenting has done something "unjustly". You were spamming the forum through your signature and avatar and that violates keep it spam free. Then you tried to get other people to spam the forums by doing what you have done with your signature. I think that clearly violates keep it spam free.

>You were spamming the forum through your signature
>and avatar and that violates keep it spam free.
Signatures are the correct place for self-promotion or solicitation, provided it's within reason. ithelp's signature is indeed within reason, though that particular discussion may have taken place before jwenting was promoted to moderator.

>Then you tried to get other people to spam the forums
>by doing what you have done with your signature.
I disagree. While you can interpret that implication from his thread, an equally valid interpretation is that he was simply asking a question and starting discussion. You can't assume what ithelp's intentions were.

>I think that clearly violates keep it spam free.
I don't think that either violate Keep It Spam-Free, and I've reversed the infraction.

>Just because I replied to a post where jwenting called me subhuman,
>now he is taking revenge by giving unnecessary infraction.
That's an unwarranted assumption. Moderators are strongly encouraged to keep their personal feelings out of decisions when enforcing the rules.

Sorry Narue, I missed this line when skimming through the Keep it Spam Free rules :$

"Self-promotion links are permitted within forum signatures provided they do not contradict with any other sitewide rules, such as inappropriate language or content."

>I missed this line when skimming through the Keep it Spam Free rules
I constantly find myself reviewing the rules. It's a good practice if you ever feel the need to cite them in a discussion. ;)

Self-promotion is permitted in signatures because I feel that it is our way of thanking you for contributing to the community by havng one or two lines where you can link to your resume, your freelance company, etc.

Additionally, not allowing any self-promotion links in a signature would be ridiculous to manage. Not only would the moderation team need to keep up with all posts ON DaniWeb, but we'd need to constantly monitor all sites that are linked to FROM DaniWeb as well. Suppose someone links to their personal homepage or blog ... where would it cross the line as "self-promotion" if they throw an AdSense ad up on the page to offset hosting fees, or if they put up their resume, which they could directly financially profit from.

Instead, we choose to set a cap to the number of words and number of lines a signature can be.

Thanks Dani, Narue. I am humbled by the justice done.

Self-promotion is permitted in signatures because I feel that it is our way of thanking you for contributing to the community by havng one or two lines where you can link to your resume, your freelance company, etc.

But are all the sites in ItHelps signature from himself? I remember reading somewhere that he actually get's payed for having them in his sig.

I was comparing you with heores of first world war I (The heroes from germany, sorry I had to make it clear since you did not understand)

Saying these kind of things to people is just wrong IMO.
If I was a Mod... But I'm not :)

Regards Niek

But are all the sites in ItHelps signature from himself? I remember reading somewhere that he actually get's payed for having them in his sig.
Regards Niek

All the sites in my signature belong to myself, who will pay for my signature ? I got 100 visitors from daniweb in past 2 years and possibly made 2-3 $ from the traffic.
What would you say to someone if he calls you subhuman ,etc ?

What would you say to someone if he calls you subhuman ,etc ?

Point taken, but calling someone sub-human or comparing him with massmurderers from the previous century (and calling them heroes...) are two completely different things.

Niek

>Saying these kind of things to people is just wrong IMO.
It's certainly borderline, but if I punished people for being borderline, I'd be a laughingstock because most of my own posts are borderline. ;) I like to think that we're lenient enough to allow freedom of discussion (and argument), but strict enough to stop it when it gets out of hand.

>calling someone sub-human or comparing him with massmurderers
>from the previous century (and calling them heroes...) are two
>completely different things.
That's debatable, and you might want to start a thread on it in the Geek's Lounge. I think it might start an interesting debate.

commented: *Geek's lounge* pertains to one person, are you saying there is just one person in the Geeks' Lounge? :) +13
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.