its pretty nice... its more readable, and more practical... GOD BLESS THE QUEEN!!

Yes, ALL HAIL QUEEN DANI!

still... i'm looking forward to the dropdown in dropdown menu

I noticed it straight away when i logged on just now!!

Looks Nice Dani :)

commented: You really have sharp eyes. +13

Also where has the "View Today's Posts" and "View Posts Since Last Visit" links gone? I figured out that you click the main heading and it takes you there, but I like a list myself, looks more, perhaps organised?

What i meant before Dani was that the extra Purple bar adds more room between the post area and the links, and then there is an extra white gap which adds more room between them. It's just a silly thing with my high-speed gaming mouse thing :P

Otherwise it's gets the thumbs up!

Dani:

I love the new layout it looks way better....

But what made you want to change it from the older one?

I wanted it to be clearer what features DaniWeb has, and make it easier for you to tell where you are on the site as you navigate.

i hadn't noticed, but the dropdown menus highlight which forum you're in... AWESOME!!

Thanks Dani...The site really looks good

> And I still feel the images should be made a little shorter. I don't understand what you mean.
... Also, the second bar seems longer than before, requiring more horizontal scrolling. Can the bar images be horizontally compressed by about 1/5th?

So rather than

how about

It makes the bar shorter so it fits better in smaller windows,

Wow.. really? Does it really matter that much? It's a damn menu bar!

shut up josh!!

It's the exact same size as it's always been.

Wow.. really? Does it really matter that much? It's a damn menu bar!

When I want to see all the choices without scrolling, then it damn well does matter! Go soak your head! :)

The navigation menu has always been 887 pixels wide for as long as I can remember, which is accomidating to people at 1024x768 resolution. The site was also designed to have the sidebar on the right so that people at 800x600 resolution can read a page's contents without having to constantly scroll horizontally.

According to our analytics software, only 3% of our users have a resolution that is less than 1024x768. It wouldn't make sense to significantly condense the navigation menu, making it more cluttered and less effective, to cater to that 3% just so they won't have to horizontally scroll a little bit just when they wish to use the navigation menu. Especially because it's been proven that not everyone even uses the nav menu at all.

i use it all the time... :D

The navigation menu has always been 887 pixels wide for as long as I can remember, which is accomidating to people at 1024x768 resolution.

OK, so mark this as a new request. But I honestly don't remember having to scroll to get toCoffee house before this change.

The site was also designed to have the sidebar on the right so that people at 800x600 resolution can read a page's contents without having to constantly scroll horizontally.
Since I don't use my browser full screen, the window is about 800 or so wide. "Coffee House" is beyond the 800 limit.

According to our analytics software, only 3% of our users have a resolution that is less than 1024x768. It wouldn't make sense to significantly condense the navigation menu, making it more cluttered and less effective, to cater to that 3% just so they won't have to horizontally scroll a little bit just when they wish to use the navigation menu. Especially because it's been proven that not everyone even uses the nav menu at all.

Does

really look that cluttered? Does it look "significantly condensed" and bad? I don't feel it's significantly different visually from

It's readable. It looks almost identical. The only real difference that can be seen is when compared together. Keep in mind this is a compression of the original GIFs, so some detail is lost.

All I'm asking is that it be considered, because Ido use the nav menu. Unless you have a different way to go from one forum to another in one click.

Aww, man.. quit your damn complaining.

OK, so mark this as a new request. But I honestly don't remember having to scroll to get to Coffee house before this change.

Since I don't use my browser full screen, the window is about 800 or so wide. "Coffee House" is beyond the 800 limit.

Uhhh.. A simple solution would be to use your browser full screen.. :-/

Does
[attach]5056[/attach]
really look that cluttered? Does it look "significantly condensed" and bad? I don't feel it's significantly different visually from
[attach]5055[/attach]
It's readable. It looks almost identical. The only real difference that can be seen is when compared together. Keep in mind this is a compression of the original GIFs, so some detail is lost.

All I'm asking is that it be considered, because I do use the nav menu. Unless you have a different way to go from one forum to another in one click.

Picky, picky, now aren't we? No, I don't like your proposal. It's crap.

Besides, Dani can't please everyone. If she makes changes then someone else will complain. So just deal with it, because most other people think it's fine. Quit trying to find something wrong with everything.

Everything looks good. But why do I get a horizontal scroll when I scroll over Coffee house ? Also, the menu(for coffee house) is outside the visible area(the last option, Daniweb Community feedback is partially visible).
Btw, my resolution is 1024*768.

Even though the site, itself, is designed for 1024x768 resolution, the Coffee House dropdown menu slightly extends past that area.

Even though the site, itself, is designed for 1024x768 resolution, the Coffee House dropdown menu slightly extends past that area.

ah! ok..

what about making the coffee house dropdown menu extend to the left instead of to the right?

There was a reason I didn't do that when the menu was initially designed 2-3 years ago and even though I don't remember what it was, I'm sure I had a good reason.

However, so many people have a high resolution these days that for such a small bug that only affects a very minority of people aesthetically (no functionality is lost), it really isn't worth starting to change it up and make it work differently than all of the other dropdowns in the same menu.

commented: I agree! :) +12

well, that's a good point... actually it doesn't bother me... just thinking in a solution...

Member Avatar for iamthwee

> Also where has the "View Today's Posts" and "View Posts Since Last Visit" links gone?

Are the points brought up by Serunson and I going to be answered then?

Sorry ... I thought I answered them already. The links, as always, are in the sidebar. :)

Ah I see them now, now I've got to remember to look there instead of in the drop-down options :P

You can also choose to view the latest posts from your own selection of Subscribed Forums, which I find extraordinarily handy.

commented: Love the new layout +3

That is Extraordinarily handy....Great Idea

With the main grey bar where it says "all", "forums", "Tutorials" etc. Could the IRC chat link be placed up there? Seeing as it is not know of by a large proportion of our members! That might make people use it more often, and so that people could have instant replies to simple questions. It's an idea anyways.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.