When posting, I recommend making the code tag a drop down just like the smiley. The code tag drop down would then require the user to select a specific type of language.:)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The problem is getting people to use code tags, not using the right language. People who don't use code tags will also not use that dropdown.

Actually, I find just as many people use plain text code tags or try to specify a language and get the syntax wrong as people who don't use code tags at all. Call me anal but I think that if a user is going to use a plain text code tag, accept for the "Toggle Plain Text" option, he/she might as well not use them at all.

Or, how about this, default the language type to the forum type the user is responding in. Of course, average users will know that they can change the language type in the code tag if they feel that if doesn't fit their post, but naturally, in most cases it would. I'll bet this would only take 5 minutes, at best.

>Actually, I find just as many people use plain text code tags or try to specify a
>language and get the syntax wrong as people who don't use code tags at all.
Looking at the statistics of cases we moderators deal with on a daily basis, failure to use code tags is vastly more common than failure to use them correctly. I'd say that out of 100 cases where I have to edit a post for code tags, maybe 8 or 9 of those cases involve fixing the tags and the rest involve adding them.

I don't use language in the code tags because I don't like the colors it adds. It makes the page harder to read.

I don't use language in the code tags because I don't like the colors it adds. It makes the page harder to read.

I think its the other way around ! Highlighted syntax is much easier to read. Oh well, everyone has their own likes and dislikes :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.