When a post is flagged is it possible to disable that link so that others know it has already been reported ? Currently there is no way for members to know if a post has been reported or not, so we wind up with several people reporting them.

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Well sorry for trying to help. :'(

commented: that made me lol +3

Well sorry for trying to help. :'(

I didn't mean to say there is anything at all wrong with multiple reports, just thought it would save everyone the bother of reporting unnecessarily.

Hey that wouldnt be too shabby!

Have the link change from "Flag bad post" to "Thread reported" and if its found to be OK,the status is changed back to regular and the link will again say "Flag bad post" :)

Whadda think of this Dani?

When a post is flagged is it possible to disable that link so that others know it has already been reported ? Currently there is no way for members to know if a post has been reported or not, so we wind up with several people reporting them.

I do not think it would be good idea , here is scenario I

Someone posts his affiliate link
Someone replies with "Reported"
Now before moderator checks the guy edit the post to remove it
after few hours he put back his link (Now the thread can no longer be reported )

Scenario II
Report your own post asking it to be moved to another category , no one else will be able to report .

after few hours he put back his link (Now the thread can no longer be reported )

The idea AD proposes is to still allow you to report it as many times as you want, but just to change the colour or something after the first time. Thats the best of both worlds and has no disadvantages.

And besides: you can flag a single post instead of a whole thread, so no problem when someone reposts.

Also, if you did my suggestion, with a trigger so edits reset the "already flagged" property, then there would be no issue. Would also need to give the mod team an ability to set/usnet this property on the fly (in case they decided to ignire the flag, for example), and some way of logging everything.

Or we could just leave it as is. The vast majority of bad posts are only reported once and dealt with before anyone else reports it. Of those that do get multiple reports we are only talking about 2 or 3 at the most, and they are threaded in the reported post forum so it really is no big deal IMHO.

Or you could put together a top 3 (or more) of the best/most-active post-flaggers and give them moderating powers, so they can delete the post themselfs and don't have to report it anymore :)

We are always keeping an eye on members who demonstrate that they have the right community spirit and attitude to be promoted to moderator status - however, we only promote people when there is a need for additional mods in specific forums.

we only promote people when there is a need for additional mods in specific forums.

Aahh, but if AD is complaining that posts are flagged multiple times, perhaps there aren't enough mods available to delete them when the first notification comes in :) . (don't take this too serious)

Ah the life of a mod sounds like so much fun :P if all you do is delete bad posts!

Im sure there is more to it then just that

Well, 90% of it is deleting spam.

> 90% of it is deleting spam.

...with the remaining 910% being dealing with issues unknown to mere mortals. ;-)

Obviously, maths is not an essential requirement :)

Obviously, maths is not an essential requirement :)

I agree with that 1000%!!!! :icon_razz:

I agree with that 1000%!!!! :icon_razz:

If 100% contains everything possible, then how in the world could you possibly agree more than 100% ???

Exactly, it annoys me when football coaches talk on tv about thier teams giving 110%

Look back at the thread, in particular the 90 percent spam plus 910 percent issues unknown to mere mortals remark - that what Walt was referring to.

The 910 was probably a typo -- funny, but a typo nontheless. And I've seen others here (such as Davy) make similar remarks in other threads. :)

> The 910 was probably a typo

Hint: No, it wasn't. :-)

Look back at the thread, in particular the 90 percent spam plus 910 percent issues unknown to mere mortals remark - that what Walt was referring to.

Thank you, HG. I didn't realize so many folks here had their funny bone removed.:icon_razz:

> The 910 was probably a typo
Hint: No, it wasn't. :-)

If you gotta explain it, it's no longer humor. It's just sad... :icon_wink:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.