This topic is about asking for an additional feature to daniweb which would save some topic bumping and remove some of the annoyance of posting a new topic. Would it be possible to make the last 5 threads with 0 posts to automatically display/pin at the top of the list for a certain period of time (eg 1 week) because I have noticed when ever posting a topic it doesn't take long until you need to go back a page or two to view your newly posted thread. Just a suggestion and would be interested to see the result.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You can always click the "Unanswered Threads" link on the right side of the screen.

You can always click the "Unanswered Threads" link on the right side of the screen.

That's useful to know but it would be nice to promote the latest threads which have not been replied to. This way people can see their thread still being alive instead of having to bump it for to keep on the first regular page. The Unanswered Threads link only resolves half the issue and not the half where regular browsers can access the latest unposted threads easier. Would be nice to see such a feature like the one on youtube...

it would be nice to promote the latest threads which have not been replied to. This way people can see their thread still being alive instead of having to bump it for to keep on the first regular page.

f their thread is not being replied to, then there's probably a reason. like their question sucks, and they need to reformulate their question.

continuing to nudge them would only cause all the trash threads to float on the top like so much Atlantic sewage on the Jersey shoreline.

anyhow, we can easily see what threads are not replied to by the BIG RED ZERO in the replies column.

people who care about making sure all posts have been replied to in their forums, can easily click "next" page if they really need something to do.

commented: Completely agree. +0

f their thread is not being replied to, then there's probably a reason. like their question sucks, and they need to reformulate their question.

continuing to nudge them would only cause all the trash threads to float on the top like so much Atlantic sewage on the Jersey shoreline.

anyhow, we can easily see what threads are not replied to by the BIG RED ZERO in the replies column.

people who care about making sure all posts have been replied to in their forums, can easily click "next" page if they really need something to do.

I guess I will have to use this quote more often...

bumpedy bump bump

Because if you check the threads I still have open today some date back many months ago and can't be botherd to bump those old ones...

why don't you create a new thread, rephrased in a manner such that you have a question that can be both understood and answered.

just sayin'

why don't you create a new thread, rephrased in a manner such that you have a question that can be both understood and answered.

just sayin'

I think the main problem is when I ask a question it's a hard question. Then people like myself answer all of the easy ones. I think that is where the floor is in the system. (People mainly answering the easier questions) As for the solution, I don't know although it isn't that greater problem for most people. I guess it's back to square one...

> I think the main problem is when I ask a question it's a hard question

The main problem is not with the hard question but with the complexity of the question. A complex question is almost always a hard question but a hard question need not always be a complicated one.

IMO the main problem I think is with the way the questions are phrased. People tend to post their entire mind dump when asking questions which presents a difficulty to those trying to answer the questions. I've seen countless questions narrating the entire use case . Breaking the question in parts in such a way that the question can be easily understood even by those who are having a cursory glance at your thread helps a lot.

If not that, chances are that you *are* asking a very difficult question. In that case, you are anyways SOL. :-)

IMO the main problem I think is with the way the questions are phrased. People tend to post their entire mind dump when asking questions which presents a difficulty to those trying to answer the questions. I've seen countless questions narrating the entire use case .

Heh. I'm more accustomed to the opposite:

"Hi mi code doesn't work. [No code posted.] What's wrong?"
:P

commented: Indeed :) +0
commented: Heh, but that is much better IMO :-) +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.