Your namne change is not complete. Look at the far-right column on this page (and others just like it) It still shows cscgal

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Those names are stored as strings within the thread table for maximum efficiency. Updating them when making a name change would be unreasonably expensive (since we'd have to go through every thread from the beginning of time), and storing a link to the actual user to get the name would require another query every time the information is needed.

So yes, the name change is incomplete as far as historical information goes, but I don't think making it complete would be worth the cost.

It's the ghost of cscgal still haunting the forums... hooouuuu...

No, I think it is just that the last-poster's name is not linked to the user profiles (as it doesn't have clickable link to the profile). But, I think it shows up correctly everywhere else including article titles of articles started by Dani (before her reincarnation).

I think it is usually quite opposite: it looks little strange to look some old newbie posts, when the poster has hundreds of posts and current signature by retroactive use of current info, and especially time they have now been members. Could it be easily changed to put the time the poster had been member in time of posting?

Good thing is that now you do not see rep or time as member in code snippet, as it has not avatar with the info for poster. But it takes clicking the name for readers to check the qualifications of the poster. Anyway the code should speek for itself.

I think it is usually quite opposite: it looks little strange to look some old newbie posts, when the poster has hundreds of posts and current signature by retroactive use of current info, and especially time they have now been members.

Honestly, I think leaving stats from the time of posting would be far more strange and confusing. At least this way all posts from a member are consistent, and that's quite useful. For example, I doubt I'm the only one who identifies regulars by their avatar. ;)

Could it be easily changed to put the time the poster had been member in time of posting?

For the record, user stats have always been retroactive in the thread and post view, even when we used vBulletin. I'm not sure this information exactly as requested would be useful since a little grade school math is all that's needed. Every post includes your join date, and along with the date of the post itself, figuring out how long the poster had been a member when the post was made is fairly simple.

No problem, agreed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.