Hey People of DaniWeb!

I have a question for you! What would you think about having the Mobile Section split up?

An Example:

OLD:

Mobile Development > A bunch of un organized threads.

NEW:

Mobile Development  > iOS               > All iOS threads IN HERE
                    > Windows Phone     > All Windows Phone threads IN HERE
                    > Android           > All Android threads IN HERE
                    AND MORE

This helps to make things more organized and it also helps you to get your thread noticed by people that know how to solve your problems.

The problem with the current setup is that people sometimes dont tag what they are programming for and therefore nobody even looks at it.

If this does get changed SO many people could benifit and it could even bring in more people! I know when I look in the Mobile Development Section I honestly get turned away because I feel that somethings might not belong in there.

Post below and tell us why you want/ dont want this to happen.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What would you think about having the Mobile Section split up?

IMO Daniweb currently has a lot of categories/sub-divisions right now. I mean look at the number of forums and sub-forums. This is one of the reason why tagging was introduced and everyone is pretty much encouraged to use tagging to improve post/thread visibility (though I agree it isn't followed a lot many times).

Secondly, the front page of Mobile development still shows threads 2 weeks back. This is pretty low activity to warrant 3 new forums. We normally tend to split forums if we find a lot of activity and in case it is a lot of effort to identify the programming language/technology used by just looking at the thread. For e.g. splitting C/C++ forum into separate forums.

If you will have a go through the archives of this "Daniweb Feedback Section", you'll come across a lot of threads with similar suggestions and responses from admins/moderators as to why new forums are generally not added.

I think it depends on if there's more activity and growth. Mobile development is very quiet here compared to much larger communities like XDA-Developers, though those sort of sites focus on the device and more hacker-type stuff, than just app development. There could be a lot of potential for mobile especially with W8 in the fall

IMO Daniweb currently has a lot of categories/sub-divisions right now. I mean look at the number of forums and sub-forums. This is one of the reason why tagging was introduced and everyone is pretty much encouraged to use tagging to improve post/thread visibility (though I agree it isn't followed a lot many times).

Secondly, the front page of Mobile development still shows threads 2 weeks back. This is pretty low activity to warrant 3 new forums. We normally tend to split forums if we find a lot of activity and in case it is a lot of effort to identify the programming language/technology used by just looking at the thread. For e.g. splitting C/C++ forum into separate forums.

If you will have a go through the archives of this "Daniweb Feedback Section", you'll come across a lot of threads with similar suggestions and responses from admins/moderators as to why new forums are generally not added.

hows threads 2 weeks back. This is pretty low activity to warrant 3 new forums. We normally tend to split forums if we find a lot of activity and in case it is a lot of effort to identify the pr

Maybe the reason for the threads dating back 2 weeks is because people feel intimidated when looking in the section, and possibly feel like their question wont be answered.

Thats really how I feel when I go into it(which is why I havent posted in there yet).

Well, you could post there and just see how good or bad it really is. Consider it a live test of your thoery that it needs to be split and show the DW designers that the current design is flawed.

Maybe the reason for the threads dating back 2 weeks is because people feel intimidated when looking in the section, and possibly feel like their question wont be answered.

Well, in that case, splitting that forum in other sub-forums will only make it worse. We now have three sub-forums with threads dating back 4 weeks on the front page.

Thats really how I feel when I go into it(which is why I havent posted in there yet).

Well, for a sub-forum/category to thrive, there has to be balanced activity i.e. a group of people who can respond to queries and a group of people who have queries. Looking at the Java and the C++ forums, you can clearly see that there is a lot of activity in terms of questions and a lot of feedback given by old-timers. IMO unless a balance of these two entities is established, it is difficult to get a decent activity in any forum. It's quite possible that the Mobile Development forum might be lacking both right now. Or maybe what you say is indeed correct in which case we might need a bit more feedback from others to confirm it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.