Before people start flaming me for the title I want to make it perfectly clear that MOST members are very helpful and somewhat polite. They have a lot of knowledge and help out when they can.

My problem is with the posting system. I am registered to nearly 50 forums and I have never encountered one so horrible......

This is more so when posting code. Every forum uses your regular [code][/code] but no, not Daniweb. You have to tab your code. Imagine if Im on a old DOS box and tab isnt supported in the OS (this is a extreme example but just to show) AFAIK, you cant tab on Android/iOS either.

Then there is the "jumping cursor" bug; It makes editing such a pain in the ass that there are posts Ive just said "Forget it" of how annoying it is....

Later this whole "article" change. I still think it is stupid and so do you guys because below this box it says "Contribute New Discussion Thread (Alt+S)". As much as the OpenGraphBlaBla says, you dont see everything using WebGL for example now do you? Linux is more secure than Windows but you still see more Windows users right?

These forums are great its just the system is really messing it up. That being said, lets hear some opinions please :)

Recommended Answers

All 165 Replies

I take it you're going to air your dirty laundry every few months just to remind us that you're unhappy with the new system?

Every forum uses your regular [code][/code] but no, not Daniweb.

Not every forum, just forums based around or inspired by vBulletin. Hop on over to StackOverflow and see how well BBCode works. I'll wait...

You have to tab your code. Imagine if Im on a old DOS box and tab isnt supported in the OS (this is a extreme example but just to show) AFAIK, you cant tab on Android/iOS either.

You can use spaces too, or the Code button on the editor. Or you could not use an old DOS box because extreme examples are often stupid. And let's be honest here, if you're posting from a phone or a tablet, you shouldn't really expect the same experience as you would from a computer. We may even provide a mobile version of Daniweb in the future.

Having used forums from a tablet before, I recognize that there are usability issues. But it's not unique to Daniweb. I think the problem is that you've become used to vBulletin based forums and simply don't like being forced to learn new workarounds.

Then there is the "jumping cursor" bug

That's such an informative bug report. Could you be more specific? Maybe provide a set of reproduction steps? As far as I'm aware, there aren't any outstanding bugs in the editor, so that would explain why it hasn't been fixed yet (if it's even a bug on our side).

Later this whole "article" change.

Get over it. Seriously, it's such a minor thing yet you've raised such a huge stink over it that one would think we killed your dog or something.

That being said, lets hear some opinions please :)

I'll withhold my opinion on the grounds that it's offensive and unproductive.

I take it you're going to air your dirty laundry every few months just to remind us that you're unhappy with the new system?

I could have sworn I made this thread before. I looked around and could not find it. I apoligize.

But Im not sure if it was you or another user that said you get use to it if you learn how to use it. I tried and I tried and I just cant because other forums are not like that.

You can use spaces too, or the Code button on the editor. Or you could not use an old DOS box because extreme examples are often stupid. And let's be honest here, if you're posting from a phone or a tablet, you shouldn't really expect the same experience as you would from a computer. We may even provide a mobile version of Daniweb in the future. Having used forums from a tablet before, I recognize that there are usability issues. But it's not unique to Daniweb. I think the problem is that you've become used to vBulletin based forums and simply don't like being forced to learn new workarounds.

Thanks for the space tip but "tabbing" with the space bar is like using Windows 95 in 2012; Yes you can do it but you shouldnt. Ill give it you that the DOS box was a extreme example but a mobile platform? Im sorry but no; A forum should have the same expirence on a desktop platform or a mobile platform. That I completely disagree with. Im glad you are looking into a mobile version of Daniweb because that is no excuse at all in 2012.

The forum I most use is actually based on IPS.

That's such an informative bug report. Could you be more specific? Maybe provide a set of reproduction steps? As far as I'm aware, there aren't any outstanding bugs in the editor, so that would explain why it hasn't been fixed yet (if it's even a bug on our side).

Um....I think I read a THREAD about it on here....

If you post code and then with your mouse, try to click on where you want to edit words or something, the cursor jumps somewhere completely different (the line above, below, left right, etc) and writes there. This happens on FF, Chrome and IE.

Get over it. Seriously, it's such a minor thing yet you've raised such a huge stink over it that one would think we killed your dog or something.

And how about the inconsistency I posted? You killed my dog but a button is saying you killed my cat and I am offended....

I'll withhold my opinion on the grounds that it's offensive and unproductive.

I ment opinions on the posting system. You disagree and seem to think its the best in the world. I respect that and that is your opinion.

If you post code and then with your mouse, try to click on where you want to edit words or something, the cursor jumps

It jumps to the line below on (inline) code. Too bad to say, but I got used to it. It really needs attention. I have this in IE and Opera. Although I think now, in the latest Opera, it's gone.

I tried and I tried and I just cant because other forums are not like that.

No offense, but that's kind of like saying you can't learn to drive both an automatic and a stick shift because they're too different.

Um....I think I read a THREAD about it on here....

There was such an issue in the past, and it was fixed. There haven't been any bug reports on the editor in months.

If you post code and then with your mouse, try to click on where you want to edit words or something, the cursor jumps somewhere completely different (the line above, below, left right, etc) and writes there. This happens on FF, Chrome and IE.

That sounds like the bug that we fixed. I use Daniweb from all three browsers and haven't seen that behavior since mid summer when we upgraded our version of CodeMirror. And yes, I do post code, and I edit my posts religiously.

Unfortunately, I can't troubleshoot a problem that I cannot reproduce. Please provide details about your OS version, browser version, and email me the content of an exact post that exhibits the problem. The exact spot where you're clicking to edit might be helpful as well.

And how about the inconsistency I posted?

Dani likes it and I couldn't care less. There's no urgency to fix an "inconsistency" that bothers exactly one person. You're the only one who cares enough to bring it up more than once, and give it more than a passing weight.

You disagree and seem to think its the best in the world.

I do disagree. It may not be the best in the world, but it's far from "horrible".

I respect that and that is your opinion.

Please respect that I don't shove it down your throat also, and try to emulate me in doing so. ;) Suggestions for improvement are welcome, but just saying things are "horrible" with no suggestion for improvement, or suggestions of "go back to the old way" will be ignored.

The old way was horrible. It's a testament to Dani's skill in managing vBulletin and the moderation team's endless patience in fighting spammers that you didn't realize how bad things were.

Untitled64
Untitled211

That sounds like the bug that we fixed
haven't seen that behavior

Just tested this on a clean Win7 Pro install, and this happens in IE9. In code the cursor moves a line down.

Just tested this on a clean Win7 Pro install, and this happens in IE9. In code the cursor moves a line down.

So it does. Only on Internet Explorer. Chrome, Firefox, and Opera all work correctly, so this is no doubt a case of IE being stupid when it comes to javascript. I'll check and see if Dani has been playing with the javascript to deal with the file upload issue in Firefox or updated CodeMirror recently. There may have been an unintended side effect.

A forum should have the same expirence on a desktop platform or a mobile platform

With Windows 8 maybe that will happen, but for now it's impossible to have the same experience on both PC and mobile platform simply because mobile doesn't have the real-estate necessary to view DaniWeb like you do on PC. I tried it on a tablet -- very very difficult to do. Some web sites have a mobile version of the PC web site and the user experience are definitely different on the two. Maybe with Windows 8 and beyond that will change so that the experience will be identical on both. But for now, that isn't possible.

Member Avatar for diafol

A forum should have the same expirence on a desktop platform or a mobile platform

That was funny. Was it supposed to be?

Lets get this straight... every forum has its own pros and cons.......

Windows 8 maybe that will happen, but for now it's impossible to have the same experience on both PC and mobile platform simply because mobile doesn't have the real-estate necessary to view DaniWeb like you do on PC. I tried it on a tablet -- very very difficult to do. Some web sites have a mobile version of the PC web site and the user experience are definitely different on the two. Maybe with Windows 8 and beyond that will change so that the experience will be identical on both. But for now, that isn't possible.

I was referring to a simple forum. Forums dont use anything flashy or resource intensive to have a different expierence. You hit with your finger the textbox where you want to type, type, and click on Post. Same expirece: Finger (click), type (type), and finger (click).

I repeat that I have the same expirence on most forum sites except daniweb. Hell, I actually load the desktop version on most forum sites because the mobile version is too stripped.

That was funny. Was it supposed to be?

No, if you think it was funny, you need professional help :)

ets get this straight... every forum has its own pros and cons.......

No doubt. Its just that most forums have more pro than cons. This one is the few that you notice more quirks than amazing features (I perfer not to call them pro and cons :) )

Well... the purpose of this site is to gain answers and resources... I have had accounts for many sites/forums/blogs/etc. and they could never answer my questions... So that is why I am here with DANIWEB, you can gain answers from them (users) within hours or at most 2 days but if you compare them to others... you'll never get anything answered.

commented: well said... +0

As Michael says, it's not all about 'amazing features' it's all about getting answers to questions and being part of a caring community. On the whole, I'd say, DaniWeb gets it right on both these counts. Certainly, for sure, 100% and with no doubt, the old vBulletin based system that underpinned DaniWeb before the overhaul was utter and complete pants. With knobs on. As one of the people who spent many hours, every single day and often through the night as well, fighting the multiple spam attacks that DaniWeb suffered I can assure you that the new system is better for one very important reason above all others: it means that DaniWeb is still here. Without it I imagine we would have drowned in that sea of spam by now...

Member Avatar for diafol

If you want an opinion, as you state in the opening post...

DW has some unique features, some of which I like, some of which I'm not so sure about. However, I think you have to look at the site in general, and I'm pretty much 85-90% happy with it. The bits that annoy me or I don't see the point of them are not worth making sweeping statements about the site in general. Of course the balance will be different for different users as they have different expectations, different needs and different experiences from other sites.

If there are big bugs, then yes, they should be sorted, but time may be better spent developing a better experience for the vast majority as opposed to trying to appease an extremely small niche market (DOS box!).

Desktop vs Mobile. There's an argument that goes if you don't show it on mobile, you shouldn't have to show it on a desktop. But let's be honest here - it can't be the same while mobile technology, often due to the browser, lags behind. A typical example would be the WYSIWYG textareas. Of all of my smartphone browsers, ond FF actually deals with it. I have terrible problems with others. In this case Dani was smart enough to provide a vanilla textarea for those not up to the task.

Every forum uses your regular [code][/code] but no, not Daniweb. You have to tab your code.

I spend forever tabbing code on StackOverflow.... DaniWeb isn't the only one.

A great example just happened to me of the shitty posting system here.....

I typed up a long post and for some reason, Daniweb logged me out. First, why does Daniweb allow me to write a post if I cant post unless Im logged it? Flaw. Anyways....

I noticed this and I tried to "Select All.........Copy" the textbox. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Keyboard shortcuts, select with mouse and right click select/copy, edit select all copy, etc. IT DOESNT SELECT IT AND/OR COPY. And now I have to rewrite the entire post again.

And now a new bug is happening, when I post code, if I click on a certain area in the reply box, text Ive typed before, moves around to the bottom. Its just horrible.....

I spend forever tabbing code on StackOverflow.... DaniWeb isn't the only one.

But it isnt the hell that tabbing code on here is....

I typed up a long post and for some reason, Daniweb logged me out. First, why does Daniweb allow me to write a post if I cant post unless Im logged it? Flaw. Anyways....

I noticed this and I tried to "Select All.........Copy" the textbox. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Keyboard shortcuts, select with mouse and right click select/copy, edit select all copy, etc. IT DOESNT SELECT IT AND/OR COPY. And now I have to rewrite the entire post again.

And now a new bug is happening, when I post code, if I click on a certain area in the reply box, text Ive typed before, moves around to the bottom. Its just horrible.....

Let's try this again. What OS and browser are you using and what versions? You've said you're having problems with Chrome, Firefox, and IE, but there's definitely something else going on because nobody can seem to reproduce the issues to the severity that you suggest.

Surely you don't think that we'd release something as bad as the above and claim that it's not broken. :rolleyes:

I never have issues, literally post my code into the code input window after pressing the code snippet button and it is easy as that

I am sure that the administrators appreciate some constructive critism. Feedback is definately how products improve. However, there is no need to use certain colorful adjectives with describing the features you dont like or dont work well for you. If this forum sucks that bad, then you also have the option to just not simply not revisiting this site.

If this forum sucks that bad, then you also have the option to just not simply not revisiting this site.

Of course, if the forum sucks that bad I'd prefer to be notified of it than just drive people away silently. At least with the former there's the possibility of improving things. ;)

Let's try this again. What OS and browser are you using and what versions? You've said you're having problems with Chrome, Firefox, and IE, but there's definitely something else going on because nobody can seem to reproduce the issues to the severity that you suggest.

Surely you don't think that we'd release something as bad as the above and claim that it's not broken. :rolleyes:

Its worth noting the select all functionality doesn't work when you print the website out on a piece of paper and try do it. Why doesn't this work Deceptikon :( I want printable functionality.

In other news..

Ctrl+A, Right-Click + Select All, work as intended.

the select all functionality doesn't work when you print the website out on a piece of paper and try do it

Huh? How can you do select all from a piece of paper???

noticed this and I tried to "Select All.........Copy" the textbox. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Keyboard shortcuts

Blaim Microsoft, not DaniWeb.

Huh? How can you do select all from a piece of paper???

AD, it was meant to be read sarcastically. Apparently I didn't make it unachievable enough to easily be spotted as sarcastic :(

Oh I see :)

Technically I could do select all off paper with a scanner though ;)?

Let's try this again. What OS and browser are you using and what versions? You've said you're having problems with Chrome, Firefox, and IE, but there's definitely something else going on because nobody can seem to reproduce the issues to the severity that you suggest. Surely you don't think that we'd release something as bad as the above and claim that it's not broken. :rolleyes:

Noone can seem to reproduce the issueS? Excuse me? pritaeas mentioned in this thread that one of the bugs happens to him as well. Read everything, not only the things you want to....

This happens on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. My main browser is IE9 but Ive tried to see if my experience on this site is better with Chrome and Firefox (a good site is good on ALL browsers but....) yet these same bugs appear.

Ctrl+A, Right-Click + Select All, work as intended.

Once again, no. They do not work.

Blaim Microsoft, not DaniWeb.

Blaim Microsoft? Is this a new company? Blaim sounds like such a powerful word!

Dont BLAME anyone/anything on the site's errors and incorrect programming. The fault is the programmers working on DaniWeb.

Noone can seem to reproduce the issueS? Excuse me?

Read the full sentence before getting insulted. Nobody can seem to reproduce the issues to the severity that you suggest.

Read everything, not only the things you want to....

Oh, the irony.

pritaeas mentioned in this thread that one of the bugs happens to him as well.

In IE only, which we've confirmed and are working on, so it's no longer relavant to my requests for more information. However, you say it happens all the time regardless of browser, which I cannot reproduce or find anyone aside from you who can do so. I'll also note that the confirmed problem is only a subset of the problems you claim work together to make Daniweb completely unusable for you.

I'm truly sorry, but I can't fix a bug that I can't reproduce. At this point (and until there are reproduction steps) I can only conclude one of two things, neither of which you'll like:

1. You're exaggerating about the severity of the problems, and it's really nothing more than the confirmed cursor bug in IE.
  2. The problems as stated are real, and as bad as you say, but they're environmental in nature and there's nothing I can do about it.
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.