Hey folks ... I'd like to apologize for the half hour of server downtime we had. The database crashed down on me and, even after restoring it, it still wasn't working. Turns out the hard drive got filled up by old .sql backups I was keeping. All in all ... we lost about 15 minutes of posts - I'm sorry everyone!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Is that linked to the notifications being considered as junkmail? I've just checked my mail and I got 15 notifications (normal), 10 notifications (unknown sender) and 4 notifications in junkmail box. All from daniweb.

Edit:

all Notifications dating dec. 5th and earlier are "normal". Ones dating from dec 6th and 7th. Are either "from unknown sender" and/or junkmail.

Well the mail is sent out from the database server which was having problems ... plus there was a database restore so it might not have known when you last logged in to send you notifications, sooo ... umm ... yeah, maybe.

I think that it is hotmail thing. I've just added your email to my contacts list (didn't need to do it before dec. 6th), plus I've marked ones in junkmail box as "Not a junkmail". I hope that will do.

BTW, notification on your last post here was also from "unknown sender" (it was before I did all that).

Hmm ... I thought that might happen, Hotmail adding @daniweb.com to their junk email filter due to the tens of thousands of @hotmail.com email addresses that got added to the mailing list. I really need to clean it out :) Then I'll start sending emails from @daniwebmail.com from a clean slate.

I don't think that they added your address to the junkmail list. Ones I had in junkmail box were with the message in a sence "we were unable to determine if this is junkmail or not". Also, there were 2 dating dec. 6th and 2 dating dec. 7th.

On the other hand, they might have some gradual classification of the junkmail addresses system triggered by the quantity of the e-mail comming from one address.

That's what I'm thinking ... that it is quantity based.

Thank god the site is back up and running :)

Thank you for your quick response Dani!! (Thankfully i didnt see it.)

Daniweb!! :)

I just had "database error" message while I was trying to post the reply. (Same message I saw when the server was down). I went back to the daniweb home page, and all went as usual, except I had to re-type the reply (Grrr...).

[Edit]

It happened again. This time when I was loging out. And again when I was loging on.

I'm reallllllly sorry ... it's me tinkering with stuff. I kinda sorta mighta been doing something that caused table locking issues and I couldn't get it to free the user table without restarting MySQL. Won't happen again. I promise!

I'm reallllllly sorry ... it's me tinkering with stuff. I kinda sorta mighta been doing something that caused table locking issues and I couldn't get it to free the user table without restarting MySQL. Won't happen again. I promise!

You're dealing with computers! Don't make a promise you can't keep. They'll make a fool of you every time! :twisted:

*reflects* Not the first nor the last time a gal made a promise to me and broke it by the next step.

:-O

No, seriously, I am parsing my mail log and searching for bounced email, and then removing member subscriptions from users whose email accounts are bouncing. The problem is that it kept doing a table lock on the user table, which froze everything.

I finally set up a queue system where it puts all of the email addresses into a temporary table. It then fetches five at a time every minute and updates the user table accordingly :)

*tries to understand* err.. *bluffs by giving the 2-thumbs-up* Yeah, just keep on doing, err... whatever you've been doing.

Btw, broken promises -> I was just being sarcastic on my account.

Your doing a good Job Dani!!!

Not to worry :)

by the way, i think whatever youve done the server fixed the intermittent post reply notification problem i was having

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.