yeah the games are good but they are getting a bit excessive

am i the only one who doesnt mind the ads here by the way? i think there just fine as there usually relevant (lately there has been some gambling ones have peple noticed it?)

am i the only one who doesnt mind the ads here by the way?

Nope. I don't even notice them. But I understand how people with slow dial-up modems might object because the ads would probably slow down page load times a lot.

yeah i notice its quite slow when i use my pda (wireless b) so dialup must be bad

>I don't think anyone is posting just to increase the post count, nobody here is that lame.
Are you so sure of that? Forums of this size have people of every type, and of course at some point or another there are going to be members who desire to have high post counts. What better way to clock up posts than by sitting in the Geek's Lounge for a few hours?

>If they do this by playing games then so be it, not a great problem.
It's a little insulting though, to have members who play word games that have way more posts than the people who spend time helping other people. To be fair, I don't mind it when "helpful" people post in word games, it just bugs me when member's post counts consist almost purely of word games.

And if people aren't posting just to increase their post count, as you say, then why would they care if posts in word games didn't increase their post count?

>am i the only one who doesnt mind the ads here by the way?
My biggest gripe against ads (and why I use an ad blocker) is because ads slow down the pageload speed. You might be surprised how much Adblock speeds everything up.

>If they do this by playing games then so be it, not a great problem.
It's a little insulting though, to have members who play word games that have way more posts than the people who spend time helping other people. To be fair, I don't mind it when "helpful" people post in word games, it just bugs me when member's post counts consist almost purely of word games.

I totally agree, but here at Daniweb it's not as bothersome as everywhere else. The reputation system seems to work fairly well, so you can see via means other than post count who is helping people and who isn't. You can even tell who spends most of their time playing word games :P

And if people aren't posting just to increase their post count, as you say, then why would they care if posts in word games didn't increase their post count?

Quoted For Truth

Ah..no nothing like that Walt, you are really good at Paint Shop Pro.

Nope. I used Paint. :D

As for high post counts from games, who really cares? Does high post count give you something special? Especially if you rarely if ever leave the games forums?

Nope. I used Paint. :D

i like paint.net (freeware)

Does high post count give you something special?

Actually: Yes, it gives you a nice titel mister "Posting Virtuoso"... :mrgreen:
But I agree with Infarction, the rep-system is a great way to find out if someone makes usefull posts or not.
I actually got rep once for posting in a word game, how weird is that??

Niek

commented: hehe and here's some for you. :) -Christina +3

I totally agree, but here at Daniweb it's not as bothersome as everywhere else. The reputation system seems to work fairly well, so you can see via means other than post count who is helping people and who isn't. You can even tell who spends most of their time playing word games :P

How many reputation points does it take to get a block? Is it 100? Because I have 46 points at the moment.

Yeah, I'm the person that spends most of my time in the geek's lounge playing word games hehe...

i hope its 100 (i have 92 yay!)

commented: Let's see if this helps... --Joe +9
commented: i'll give you so points also :) -christina +3

>i hope its 100 (i have 92 yay!)
I just gave you a boost :D

commented: heres some points :) +9

Yeah, I have a while until I get another block... 50 more points I think. I guess I'm just not insightful enough ;)

commented: heres some points so you get 2 blocks soon :) +9

thanks joeprogrammer, i gave you all some too
I have 104 (2 blocks now)

getting rep seems to take ages. i dont think its encouraged enough. it would be better IMHO if there was a best answer(s) thing lilke on that site (google answers or q&a something? maybe its msn or yahoo i cant remember.....)

thanks joeprogrammer, i gave you all some too
I have 104 (2 blocks now)

Go you! Now it says "jbennet will become famous soon enough."

commented: tada: more then 50 -niek e +1

just to get back on topic, id make rep points different. right now theres no incentive to give it.

One more question about the reputation points, what does it mean if you have a gray block?

ive always wondered about that.... It doesnt seem to detract from your points at least...

Yeah, it's weird.. it's just neutral.

what gets me is how when you give someone negative rep it says "thank you, may you get some in return". i alwayss think to myself hmm did i just give that flamer some rep?

Lol, yeah! That is kinda strange.

>One more question about the reputation points, what does it mean if you have a gray block?
It means that the user who gave it to you tried to change your reputation (either plus or minus), but didn't have enough posts to do it. There's a minimum, something like 10 or 20, that one must have before they can affect someone else's reputation.

And agreed, rep is very hard to come by. I try to remember and give it to well-deserving members, however I often forget. Quite often one can get far more reputation by mentioning the fact that he/she doesn't have very much than they can when they are actually helping someone.

One thing that should be pointed out however, is that members with a bit of rep power are not as willing to give out rep (including me), because it usually means giving a huge chunk of rep, when maybe I think they only deserve 1 or 2 points for the post.

Furthermore, even if newbies did try and help out by giving reputation, the impact would be minimal if not nothing, as they just give out "gray rep" as previously mentioned.

yeah, i suppose.

maybe we could have a best answer(s) type system?
or a + and - post thing like on digg

Oh okay.. that's cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

>what gets me is how when you give someone negative rep it says "thank you, may you get some in return".
Yes, it seems that Dani has overlooked that small detail when she coded the little popup box...

Either that, or she's saying that she hopes the person is going to negative-rep you back :mrgreen:

> what gets me is how when you give someone negative rep it says "thank you, may you get some in return".

Yes, it seems that Dani has overlooked that small detail when she coded the little popup box...

ah, the importance of thorough testing...

Edit: hmm maybe i should be getting to sleep i just looked at the time and its 1:30 and i have to get up at 6 tomorrow :(

Wow... it's 9:34pm here..

Wow... it's 9:34pm here..

yes im on GMT here (or is it BST i cant remember) that probably explains why this place doesnt liven up until the evening...

9:36here....we are one timezone ahed of FL but no daylight savings .but its alot futher ahead over in england thou..hey they have multiple time zones there? i fferget..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.