:lol: I purchased a Laptop from a store that had sold it previosly and the first owner had fired up Widows XP and logged his name to it ...
Now everthing goes via C:\documents and settings\Billy>
I want to change this login to another name (cos i'm not Billy )
Please give me the answers you techies out there :rolleyes:
Thank in advance !!!!

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by twoyorkie
Featured Replies
  • To change login names or user specifics in windows XP, navigate ; Start>Control Panel>User Accounts Read More

Twoyorkie, to tell ya the truth, I'm suprised the computer store did not already reformatt the computer. Do you happen to have your current XP discs? Because if so, I would [b]definitely[/b] recommmend reformatting. Read More

• [QUOTE=gerbil;258840]"the registered name in Windows"!!! so that's what you wish to change... you shoulda said so!! Easy. start>run>type regedit. Go to this key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\current version [open this by highlighting it]...and there you have it, down near the botom of the list -registered owner! Highlight the name, change the data … Read More

Twoyorkie... are you sorted now? i got a bit confused by the threads in here.... glad to have been of help, anyway. Samashahdi.... HKLM is hivekey local machine... u gotta open up those folders.... now i also meant for you to open current version [by clicking on it] , and … Read More

Thanks but i think you missunderstood.....Billy....is the windows system folder name ,not the username and according to the screen it says I cannot change this (probably not exactly correct) so thats my problem ??????

Twoyorkie, to tell ya the truth, I'm suprised the computer store did not already reformatt the computer.

Do you happen to have your current XP discs? Because if so, I would definitely recommmend reformatting.

Hi Stein
the machine was supplied with no discs and the OS was intalled as advertised.

The thing is ...i only have either dodgey copys or an old ,pre sp2 disc ......bugger !!!

Sorry twoyorkie, the title of your post threw me and i should have read the details better, but it was a late night!!! sigh....

Yeh, if your system was not supplied with an up to date O/S disc, take it back and get the retailer to 'clean install' an XP SP2 O/S.. this should have been part of the deal which he(as stein says) should have done for you already!

Cheers

Well sad to say he 's 1500 miles away in uk and i'm stuck in the costa del sol griping !!!! never mind eh!.....thanks for your time though

an old ,pre sp2 disc

Well I'm pretty sure that would work too--as SP2 can be downloaded online.

So you really have an old XP disc? If so, that's what I'd do...

perhaps you are long since sorted... but not by anything i read here. the windows log-in name..... do you mean the one that is shown if u follow this path :- Start > control panel > system > computer name? And if u do, well, now you know how to change it. Nothing is forever....

Thanks gerbil but I meant the registered name in Windows ......hmmmm a bit more complicated as i do not have the origion disk as it was installed on the machine by the manufacturer.......

U can do it by Start>Control panel>users. Create A new user on Your Name and don't forget to assign Administrator privilege to him.It's u after all!!

"the registered name in Windows"!!! so that's what you wish to change... you shoulda said so!! Easy. start>run>type regedit. Go to this key:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\current version [open this by highlighting it]...and there you have it, down near the botom of the list -registered owner! Highlight the name, change the data entry via edit > modify.

"the registered name in Windows"!!! so that's what you wish to change... you shoulda said so!! Easy. start>run>type regedit. Go to this key:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\current version [open this by highlighting it]...and there you have it, down near the botom of the list -registered owner! Highlight the name, change the data entry via edit > modify.

This is a screen cap of my Regedit
I can,t find the key your are refering to.
I tried searching the registry for "registered owner" and didn't have any luck.
Help please

Sam

Votes + Comments
at last...someone who could help.CHEERS
Attachments regedit.JPG 11.25 KB

This is a screen cap of my Regedit
I can,t find the key your are refering to.
I tried searching the registry for "registered owner" and didn't have any luck.
Help please

Sam

Brilliant ....it take one who knows ......and you did ...fan bloody tastic !!!

samashadi,
u gotta open up those listings.... [HKLM is hivekey local machine..] and i meant you to open the folder "current version" by clicking on the key, not to expand it....but more simply, when in the registry, highlight my computer , then just go up to edit tab > find, type registeredowner, and let it search. [sorry, i put a space in that word in my earlier post...] AND BE CAREFUL IN THERE!!! it is the heart of your puter. well, a fair bit of it....
Twoyorkie... are you sorted now? I got a bit confused by the threads running....

Twoyorkie... are you sorted now? i got a bit confused by the threads in here.... glad to have been of help, anyway.

Samashahdi.... HKLM is hivekey local machine... u gotta open up those folders.... now i also meant for you to open current version [by clicking on it] , and not to merely expand it by clicking the plusbox. Sorry though, in my original post i put a space in the dataword registeredowner. Try searching for that... and BE CAREFUL IN THERE!!!

Votes + Comments
Much needed info supplied with ease,thanks

samashadi,
u gotta open up those listings.... [HKLM is hivekey local machine..] and i meant you to open the folder "current version" by clicking on the key, not to expand it....but more simply, when in the registry, highlight my computer , then just go up to edit tab > find, type registeredowner, and let it search. [sorry, i put a space in that word in my earlier post...] AND BE CAREFUL IN THERE!!! it is the heart of your puter. well, a fair bit of it....
Twoyorkie... are you sorted now? I got a bit confused by the threads running....

Many thanks Gerbil..........here's a funny thing though.....now the MS software is now in a new name ..all the updates for MS office that refused to go on the machine loaded with no problems,so thanks to you 2 birds killed with 1 helpfull stone top notch regards Twoyorkie

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.