What's with all these ads that look like movies? They are extremely annoying! Please make them stop!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 34 Replies

Are you referring to the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 campaign that's been running the past couple of days? I unfortunately don't have the option of just kicking out an ad campaign. Whether it's a campaign I negotiated directly, or through a site representation company, all advertising campaigns are pre-negotiated signed contracts with the advertiser.

Eh, I don't find anything wrong with them.
They can be interesting sometimes.. ;)

I thought you had a policy on no flashing and obnoxious ads. I find then both.... IMAO

Just use Firefox and AdBlock Plus. I see no ads now :)

Also, from donation page:

"DaniWeb is a 100% free community for IT professionals like you. Revenue comes from selling advertising campaigns. However, it takes a lot of resources, servers, bandwidth, and manpower to run a site as big as we are. On top of that, the value of standard forms of advertising such as banners is rapidly declining in favor of DHTML, layered, flyout, fullscreen, and video ads."

By "flashing and obnoxious" ads I was referring to the ones that are like "win a free iPod" and "punch the monkey" and literally flash. I never meant to include ad campaigns for Microsoft in that group.

at least we dont have annoying sound ones like that zap the bug to get a free prize thing.

Yeah, that's the kind I am against. And the warning ones that say "warning: your computer is infected with a virus. click here to download spyware removal."

which is usually a virus itself. Yeah, i hate those ones.

I don't mind ones that play sound when you click on them (or, in certain circumstances, make a little noise when they're hovered over, as long as it's quick and the sound stops when you move the mouse off of them). ... But I don't like ones that play sound automatically. I lost a few campaigns over this in the past and even had a company back out after paying me because their ad had sound and I refused to run it.

WaltP, if it makes you feel any better, each ad campaign only lasts for a specific duration of time. No particular ad will be around forever.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Why do ppl always complain about the ads or intelliText. It's simple, if you don't like them turn them off. Disable javascript or flash or whatever.

The ads are there to bring in revenue. If they weren't there daniweb wouldn't be free.

Just use Firefox and AdBlock Plus. I see no ads now :)

I definitely forgot that I had AdBlock...

Yay i turned off intellitxt and used adblock hehe now i have adfree daniweb.Screenshot enclosed

Why do ppl always complain about the ads or intelliText.

Usually the complaints aren't directed at ads in general, they're directed at particularly annoying ones which make it hard to view the content (eg. ads floating across the page), or ones that advertise crooked websites, such as paying to download Firefox. I think that's a perfectly legitimate reason to complain.

It's simple, if you don't like them turn them off. Disable javascript or flash or whatever.

Such an attitude on advertising would not get you very far. Consider all the people who use Internet Explorer, there isn't an ad blocker available for it (as far as I know). Forcing people to switch browsers and download special plugins just so they can view DaniWeb would be just silly.

The problem is that the moving ads are brain interrupts.

They yank your eyes off the text you are trying to read, because the same type of stimulus could be an impending collision or a bee about to sting.

Require all ads to be still lifes.

I don't mind ones that play sound when you click on them (or, in certain circumstances, make a little noise when they're hovered over, as long as it's quick and the sound stops when you move the mouse off of them). ... But I don't like ones that play sound automatically. I lost a few campaigns over this in the past and even had a company back out after paying me because their ad had sound and I refused to run it.

I despise any add and website that automatically plays sound. I don't watch SpikeTV anymore simply because their obnoxious self-promo ads during a scene I'm trying to watch now have sound...

WaltP, if it makes you feel any better, each ad campaign only lasts for a specific duration of time. No particular ad will be around forever.

Doesn't matter, actually. It's the type of ad, not who runs it. Any ad that moves IMAO should be banned. I also realize that's a utopian desire -- it ain't gonna happen completely. But the ads you have banned are definitely the ones that need to be banned.

Why do ppl always complain about the ads or intelliText. It's simple, if you don't like them turn them off. Disable javascript or flash or whatever.

Sure, let's turn off the stuff we used every day on most sites simply because of one site? Get real!

They yank your eyes off the text you are trying to read, because the same type of stimulus could be an impending collision or a bee about to sting.

This is my desire. As I said, it probably won't happen, but "I have a dream!" :)

I used to specifically avoid DaniWeb at work because of such ads. Firefox/AdBlock helps, but it's hardly the best default, IMO.

All that "trying to be more professional" and all killed the first half of my usual viewing -- from the POV of the "professional".

[edit]The second half was killed in part for trying to be a "contributor".

The remaining percentage lingers to do a postmortem.

I wish I would have found that Ad Blocker addon long ago. It works great, the site loads way faster (on dialup) and no more obnoxious animated billboard ads. It's the best of both worlds because daniweb still gets it's money for postng ads that I and anyone else that uses a feature like ad blocker doesn't ever see. And if other people actually want to see those ads, which is beyond me, they can still look at them.

disabling intellitxt too makes it adfree!

That's by design. That's how ads work, and why ads work. Your request is tantamount saying "Ads should be required to not be ads." I hate ads enough to have chosen to run an ad-free site. The consequence is a small site with very little traffic. So be it; I'm fine with that. Daniweb is a different animal, and simply would not exist without advertising, and advertising is inherently distracting.

If a particular form of advertising is so out-of-balance in relation to content, or interferes with how you'll participate on Daniweb (such as how I feel about IntelliTXT, which has killed any technical participation from me) you should speak out, but for better or worse the choice is Dani's, and she's chosen IntelliTXT and moving ads. Rather, the advertising industry has chosen, so that's we we see here.

Indeed. Id rather have ads than have to pay

I would not. I would pay a nominal fee for a truly ad free Daniweb. That would mean no IntelliTXT corrupting my posts, no blank spaces where ads would be (so I'd have a real Quick Reply box back), etc.

That is totally unrealistic, however. Not enough people would pay enough money to equal or exceed ad revenue. Dani would have to maintain two sites, in essence. Not going to happen.

So we each have a choice. I like Dani, I like Davey's blogs. I'm curious how the site will develop, so give feedback. But I can't/won't moderate again, nor participate in any of the development forums, because clarity of expression and the nature of peer-to-peer community assistance is compromised by IntelliTXT. I won't have words put in my mouth when I'm trying to help someone. That's my choice, others feel differently.

My point is: I doubt things will change in regard to the types and amount of advertising here. Speak your piece, but then realize it won't change, and decide if you can live with that or not.

P.S. Your typing is improving, jbennet, but sentences end with periods. Also look into "apostrophes".

Yes i know ive been trying hard. Ive got 8 bad reps for typing in one week :(

Yes I know, I've been trying hard. I've got 8 bad reps for typing in one week.

Keep trying! In any case, I'm sure many of us appreciate the effort.

commented: Quit the faggish whinning, no one is gonna change for you. -2

Thank you I will. I hope I've managed to write better this time.

disabling intellitxt too makes it adfree!

Yes, I have that disabled also. I don't like intellitext but I can sort of grimace and bear it. But since dani gives the option to turn it off I don't have to grimace.

Indeed. I dont mind the ads at all but when they make things slow, then I do.

Yes i know ive been trying hard. Ive got 8 bad reps for typing in one week :(

Why should you be "trying hard"? Don't they teach you how to write proper English where you're from? Don't you have to pass English courses to move on in school? Or is it only in the States they actually teach English? :icon_wink:

Uh, I am from England itself but our schools are crappy :)
Lol, i am actually studying it at college....

That new Ask Jeeves ad is the worst yet!

The way they ANNOY us so, I can't believe that these advertisers really want our business.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.