Hi
I m basically windows programmer, worked always for windows platform, I m good in web based programming also. But i want to move.
I always wanted to work for linux. Its my dream to work in c or c++ under Linux platform, I want to do some Networking kinda job or some job which are real, means calling OS api or something like that.
I am not very much familiar with Linux OS but still have a kind of crush with that.

For now, I m working as a trainee completing last semester of my Course, in a s/w company.

Can any body help me to realize my dream. By sending some link where I can find job of my dream. or any valuable suggestion.

Thanx in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Get VERY familiar with the OS. No company is going to hire you to program it unless you can use it blindly...
It would be like hiring someone as a welder who likes welding machines but doesn't know how they work...

Get VERY familiar with the OS. No company is going to hire you to program it unless you can use it blindly...

thanx i' ll try my best...

>Its my dream to work in c or c++ under Linux platform
Why? Your dream is a little odd considering that you're not familiar with Linux. I get the impression that you have some kind of idyllic misconception about the difference between Windows programming and Linux programming. It's great to increase your skill set, but if you expect Linux programming to be somehow better or more fun than Windows programming, you're going to be disappointed.

You also have to consider how few computers use the Linus OS, sorry Linux OS.

>Your dream is a little odd considering that you're not familiar with Linux.
its not like that i m completely unaware of linux OS. i know about Shell shell scripting, also have some experience of OS itself.

Other thing is that its all about Open Source, and I want to serve Open source community.
>You also have to consider how few computers use the Linus OS, sorry Linux OS.

I think u dont know How big Linux community is ???????

if u r pure Windows programmer and not aware of Powerfulness of linux plz dont reply.

if u r pure Windows programmer and not aware of Powerfulness of linux plz dont reply.

While I agree, I'd not discount the power of Windows either... ;)

common yaar i dont want to start Windows Vs Linux debate again. I know what window is and what linux is. Plz solve my problem. Its all about love, ;) i think u guys understand...:)

commented: What a terrible post. Learn better english. -2
commented: josh is just being ignorent again :) +23

I've been programming in Linux for almost 9 mos. And I'm really enjoying it. Well I started by doing some research and familiarizing commands. I read a lot, I have a book here that helped me a lot. GNU/Linux Application Programming by M. Tim Jones. It's really nice. Maybe you can buy and read it.

I've been programming in Linux for almost 9 mos. And I'm really enjoying it. Well I started by doing some research and familiarizing commands. I read a lot, I have a book here that helped me a lot. GNU/Linux Application Programming by M. Tim Jones. It's really nice. Maybe you can buy and read it.

thanx a lot, do u have any reference, name of some company working in Linux.
any way thanx, i think that book will help me.

I think most of the companies that needs Linux programmers are the once that deals with drivers. Some top companies like Lexmark, Cannon, Olympus etc. I think are hiring Linux programmers. I'm not really sure bout that.

What ABOUT Linux Networking Companies...???

No. Most companies don't go out to hire "Linux programmers", they want C++ (or C, or Ada, or Fortran) programmers who are familiar with Linux.

And most of the software they create is for internal use only so it never appears in (for example) Linux Magazine (which is why you've not heard about it).

What About Novell, Redhat Like Companies...

No. Most companies don't go out to hire "Linux programmers", they want C++ (or C, or Ada, or Fortran) programmers who are familiar with Linux.

And most of the software they create is for internal use only so it never appears in (for example) Linux Magazine (which is why you've not heard about it).

That's exactly what I mean, I'm sorry for the confusion. :)

>I think u dont know How big Linux community is ???????

Big as it may be, it does pale in comparison to the amount that use Windows. I just hope you motives for switching to Linux are all the right ones, because otherwise you are going to be sorely disappointed.

and it's not much of a community either. It's more like a gathering of anarchists, where everyone has his or her own brilliant idea and won't listen to anyone who opposes it because they know in their hearts that they're righteous and everyone else is wrong who dares disagree with them.

and it's not much of a community either. It's more like a gathering of anarchists, where everyone has his or her own brilliant idea and won't listen to anyone who opposes it because they know in their hearts that they're righteous and everyone else is wrong who dares disagree with them.

Does it have something to do with the countless Linux distros? lol

that's one sign indeed.

Also consider the way where they insist on doing everything different from say Windows, refuse to accept that someone else can ever have a good idea.

lol amen to that JWenting, narrow mindedness prevents innovation!

lots of companies like IBM, Orcale want Fortran programmers with UNIX experience to write mainfframe code and lots of defence companies like BAE want ADA programmers with UNIX experience for aircraft control etc...

lots of companies like IBM, Orcale want Fortran programmers with UNIX experience to write mainfframe code and lots of defence companies like BAE want ADA programmers with UNIX experience for aircraft control etc...

......thanx for this information.

lol DangerDev good quote there

lol DangerDev good quote there

thanx.

Windows is the future, Bill told me.

Wonder what the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends for a programming language and OS, could it be Ada?.

lol

maybe actually, ada is used a lot in safe systems e.g missiles, aircraft

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.