I'm getting into Java programming, and find myself at a loss for a good Java IDE for Linux. I'm running Mandrake 9.1 (I tried Gentoo, but I'm to much of a n00b to linux)

Can you guys suggest any?

Note to Dani: I know about Borland's JBuilder, but I want to see if there is anything else.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'm currently using CodeWarrior as a java IDE, but apparently it's only for Windows and OS X.

Last I heard, Codewarrior is available for Linux (Redhat), but it's not free. Sun provides NetBeans packaged with their latest JDK. I've downloaded/installed the Windows version, and haven't been able to use it very much, but it looks pretty good so far. There is also Borland JBuilder. I've used it in the past, trying to convert from Windows CodeWarrior to JBuilder on Linux, and it was difficult to use at best. Hope this helps.

David

If you have money to spare, Intellij IDEA is a very good IDE. You can run it on various operating systems. http://www.jetbrains.com. They have a 30 day trial. Absolutely worth a look.

If you're short on cash, I would definitely consider Eclipse.

said Rich almost 4 years later...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.