What do you call it?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

When I was a kid growing up in central Iowa we called it pop. Where I now live we call it soda. I never did use coke as a generic term for that substance.

Growing up in Montana we called it pop when it came in a bottle but soda when it came in a cup (or am I just remembering soda fountains... it has been so long ago now).

I am 28, and we (friends, family) simply use the brand name. For the most part, the generic terms associated with the description of a softdrink have never been used by us. Now that I think about it, not too many other people take that approach....I do not know how or why that trend started, it just did!

I am 28, and we (friends, family) simply use the brand name. For the most part, the generic terms associated with the description of a softdrink have never been used by us. Now that I think about it, not too many other people take that approach....I do not know how or why that trend started, it just did!

Same here :-/
but i am 25 :$

=P

i live in australia and i never hear ANY of the other names for it.

The term soda goes way way back to the 19th century or maybe evey earlier. In my teen-age years and early adulthood we had soda fountains where we could buy beverages and ice cream, and it was a place to hang out with other people of our age.

I call it whatever it is im drinking :)

I call it whatever it is im drinking :)

Let me try to rephrase. If you had guests and were going to offer them a soft drink what term might you use? Or, what might you be most comfortable hearing when ordering a soft drink at a restaurant?

i live in australia and i never hear ANY of the other names for it.

Other than...?

you forgot a main category: "drink"

you pretty much just left out the entire Southeast US on that.

EDIT: hmm.. looking at your map link, maybe generic "drink" was particular to VA / NC / SC....

personally I hate the word "pop" used for soft drink... it sounds so ridiculous.

Dave Sinkula,

Ok, if I were going to tell guests what we have to drink, it would go something like this:

"We have a variety of beverages, would you like to have juice, water, milk, mountain dew, dr. pepper, or diet sprite"

Now, most people will ask me, "does'nt it take longer to say them all out rather than to just generalize and use the term soda?" Well, my answer to that one is that if I would have just said "soda", they would have asked what kind. So I just cut to the chase since I would eventually have to tell them everything I have anyway!!

that's ridiculous.

say you're going to the store. you ask your friend "what kind of ______ do you want"

you dont name off every possible brand and flavor of soft drink.

so quit being obstinate, and answer the damn question.

There is no obstinance here! I answered Dave's question!

As for an answer to your question......

"What kind of drink do you want me to get you?"

Or "Can I buy you a drink?"

Damn question answered Mr. Jephthah

aha. now we're getting somewhere.

i'll bet you live near the atlantic seaboard around VA or NC or thereabouts.

How about North East Kansas!! LOL

eh, that was my second guess...

:P

but that makes me wonder... do you have a hangup with the word "pop" then?

I am indifferent to it. I never use the word "pop", but when my friends use it, I sometimes make fun of them....not a big deal though, we mainly just use the word drink though.

I use soda and pop interchangeably. Never coke unless referring to the product by that nickname.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.