The LHC at CERN is scheduled for start up today and apparently some scientist say it could creat a black hole which will swallow our galaxy. Most believe this to be false but i guess when your creating conditions that haven't happened in our universe since the first billionths of a second it was created, you never know.

Heres a link to a live webcast of the events a cern: http://webcast.cern.ch/

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

They're not going to run it on full power today, so my guess is that we all live to see another day.

It's a great experiment, I'm very interested in what results may come out of it.

The LHC at CERN is scheduled for start up today and apparently some scientist say it could creat a black hole which will swallow our galaxy. Most believe this to be false but i guess when your creating conditions that haven't happened in our universe since the first billionths of a second it was created, you never know.

Heres a link to a live webcast of the events a cern: http://webcast.cern.ch/

Dont think so:). It sure will be interesting to see the outcome

I agree, although they say that the analysis satge from the hundreds of sensors and instrumentation will take 10 - 20 years. that kind of sucks.

imagine we might finally know why there was a slight imbalance in the amount of matter to antimatter ratio during the start of the universe, giving us a matter filled universe, among countless other information.

What really baffles me is the fact that the matter that makes up the universe is just a very small amount of the matter/antimatter created from the energy of the big bang. Once the annihilation of all matter/antimatter that was proportionate happened the matter left over was a minuscule amount. That means the energy from the annihilations is still in the universe , largely out scaling the matter.

Boggles my mind.

Im Boggled :)

Nevertheless...thats what amazes me the duration of the time its goings to take.Its obvious but still its suchj a mission...

Well I do not think that any country will let you to do such kind of things. This is another hype created by the media only.

From the morning all news channel in India is broadcasting this news only and try to get some good TRP ratings.

Boy they really know how to waste time of common people ... and look here we are doing the same again ...

When venturing into the unknown, one can only prepare for the unexpected. The precautions and research are completed in order to stop that sort of thing from happening but the possibilities are there.

So, apparently at 10:28 this morning they successfully steered the beam around the 27 km particle accelerator. Now they can begin to look at colliding the beam and then accelerating them to almost the speed of light. They should have some results within a year but it will unfortunately take many years to analyze the vast amount of data coming from this project.

heres a link : http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR08.08E.html

Pay me a million billion gazillion dollars or I will destroy the world.
Was signed, Dr. Evil

I agree, although they say that the analysis satge from the hundreds of sensors and instrumentation will take 10 - 20 years. that kind of sucks.

imagine we might finally know why there was a slight imbalance in the amount of matter to antimatter ratio during the start of the universe, giving us a matter filled universe, among countless other information.

What really baffles me is the fact that the matter that makes up the universe is just a very small amount of the matter/antimatter created from the energy of the big bang. Once the annihilation of all matter/antimatter that was proportionate happened the matter left over was a minuscule amount. That means the energy from the annihilations is still in the universe , largely out scaling the matter.

Boggles my mind.

Yep, entropy has already won! and the heat death of the universe is already here - the corpse is just no aware of it yet.

It has a thermal black body spectrum at a temperature of 2.725 K, thus the spectrum peaks in the microwave range frequency of 160.2GHz, corresponding to a 1.9mm wavelength. Although the general feature of a black-body radiation spectrum could potentially be produced by many processes, the spectrum also contains small anisotropies, or irregularities, which vary with the size of the region examined. They have been measured in detail, and match to within experimental error that would be expected if small thermal fluctuations had expanded to the size of the universe we see today. As a result, most cosmologists consider this radiation to be the best evidence for the Big Bang model of the universe.

If all the mass in the universe were converted to energy, it would raise the temperature less than 1 deg K.

Just in case you missed it, here is CERN Dark Matter rap

GrimJack, I am impressed. You are unquestionably the smartest person on this forum!

GrimJack, I am impressed. You are unquestionably the smartest person on this forum!

Is it a competition? But yes i agree He do seem have a superior intellect to anyone else here, and a better attitude.

A little black hole wouldn't be the end of the whole galaxy, just Earth or maybe our solar system. Remember our galaxy has already a rather large black hole near its center.

Actually, the little black hole thing came up during a BBC interview of 7 year old school children.

yes, sneekula it was a exaggeration to get the topic rolling. I am well aware of that. It would, however, destroy much more then our planet. once then sun entered and the mass constricted the holes center the rest of the solar system would surely be doomed.

Not that its going to happen or anything. :)

There are so many violent events in our near space, much more violent then the little puff at CERN. Yet the space is not littered with tiny black holes, I think and hope.

proton beams moving at almost the speed of light and then smashing each head on? Does that happen in space?

that might sound sarcastic sneekula but its an actual question,

Anybody?

proton beams moving at almost the speed of light and then smashing each head on? Does that happen in space?

that might sound sarcastic sneekula but its an actual question,

Anybody?

To an almost unlimited extent, and not only proton beams. Open your eyes, think space, even a small corner of our galaxy is huge and filled with stars forming and collapsing.

but in space does matter ever get accelerated to that speed.

Why not? Even if the initial speed isn't C, you could get there by the pressure of the sunlight, since there's no friction in space.

Solarsailing is no longer sci-fi
or is it?

Solar sails have been tested in orbit and do work.

Of course the test sails have been small and crude, made of very thin plastic coated in aluminium, but the concept has been shown to work.

I am tempted to get political here but instead just say that we started building the superconductin super collider but stopped after spending about 2 billion dollars on 17 holes in the ground. We probably should have done what CERN did and make it an international effort. the SSC would have been somewhat higher energy - 40 TeV against 14 TeV in the center of mass. I hope that the US does not lose its position as the leader in science.

Solar sails have been tested in orbit and do work.

Of course the test sails have been small and crude, made of very thin plastic coated in aluminium, but the concept has been shown to work.

I like Larry Niven's explanation of solar sails (and the pursuit).

Black Holes happen all time around us in nature. They are just doing in a controlled way to moniter what happens closely. Even if a black was to be created, consuming the entire mass of the earth (In other words, everything is gone) the event horrizon would be very small; We are safe... For now anyway :S

Black Holes happen all time around us in nature. They are just doing in a controlled way to moniter what happens closely. Even if a black was to be created, consuming the entire mass of the earth (In other words, everything is gone) the event horrizon would be very small; We are safe... For now anyway :S

One of the doomsday scenarios is that a tiny black hole is created and is accidentally dropped. It falls through the center of the earth, swallowing mass as it goes, comes out the other side, then falls back through the earth swallowing more. Each path is different due to the rotation of the Earth. Long before the earth is consumed by the black hole, magma leaks out and covers the surface of the planet.

Wow, I am starting to depress myself.

Think happy thought, think happy thoughts -- the cockroaches won't win!

One of the doomsday scenarios is that a tiny black hole is created and is accidentally dropped. It falls through the center of the earth, swallowing mass as it goes, comes out the other side, then falls back through the earth swallowing more. Each path is different due to the rotation of the Earth. Long before the earth is consumed by the black hole, magma leaks out and covers the surface of the planet.

Black Holes are theoretical for a start. All the evidence points towards them, but as they can't be seen, and object when near the edge just 'fade' we cannot say for definate what happens. However, as everything has a seperate gravitational exertion of energy, then they will not be supported as seperate objects on the Earth able to fall through. It will be entirely self 'suspended', so will not "fall" through another gravitational source, which is a common misconception. The singularity will not have an effect on matter until it reaches the event horizon. According to the net, the total earth mass going into a black hole will result in one under 1cm. That means all matter outside that radius will not exactly be pull into it, but will slightly be effected. This along with its self supportion in spacetime means that it will not devour out planet... Which is a good thing really.

Black Holes are theoretical for a start. All the evidence points towards them, but as they can't be seen, and object when near the edge just 'fade' we cannot say for definate what happens. However, as everything has a seperate gravitational exertion of energy, then they will not be supported as seperate objects on the Earth able to fall through. It will be entirely self 'suspended', so will not "fall" through another gravitational source, which is a common misconception. The singularity will not have an effect on matter until it reaches the event horizon. According to the net, the total earth mass going into a black hole will result in one under 1cm. That means all matter outside that radius will not exactly be pull into it, but will slightly be effected. This along with its self supportion in spacetime means that it will not devour out planet... Which is a good thing really.

Well, yes Black Holes are theoretical and we will never see one but I would like to point you to this site
.Using a technique called Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI), a team of astronomers led by Doeleman employed an array of telescopes to study radio waves coming from the object known as Sagittarius A* (A-star). In VLBI, signals from multiple telescopes are combined to create the equivalent of a single giant telescope, as large as the separation between the facilities. As a result, VLBI yields exquisitely sharp resolution.

Nevertheless, their result represents the first time that observations have gotten down to the scale of the black hole itself, which has a "Schwarzschild radius" of 10 million miles.There are 4 known black hole solutions to Einstein's equations; 2 of which are rotating black holes. Rotating black holes can produce large amounts of energy at the expense of its rotational energy. In that case a rotating black hole gradually reduces to a Schwarzschild black hole, the minimum configuration from which no further energy can be extracted. The Earth's SL is 9mm, while the Sun's is ~3 kilometers. I still need to research the effects of gravity on a tiny black hole. Of course, no known force can create a tiny black hole but there is a prediction of 'primordial black holes' that were created not by gravitational collapse but by the extreme density of matter during the first 20 or so seconds after the BB. Standard theory suggests that all primordial black holes (pbh) have evaporated due to a theoretical process known as Hawking Radiation (I don't want to go into string theory here - I don't want to get to distracted from the fact we are talking about MY nightmare).

Oh crap! I just found Micro black holes; w/o getting into the controversies - let's just accept that any mass larger than the Planc Mass can be compressed into a black hole. It is true that if these tiny black holes were to pass through the earth, there would be no noticeable affect - it would gain at most a few nucleons. But if the tiny black hole is created here in earths gravitational field then dropped, it can not escape so gravity would pull it towards the center of the earth. Keeping in mind inertia, it would fall through the center of the earth and finally stop somewhat short of its drop height on the 'other side of the earth' then fall back behaving much like a pendulum. It may only pick up a couple nucleons on each pass. There is nothing that will stop this and it will go on forever slowly picking up mass and losing velocity (I refuse to even consider the math necessary to compute how long the 'falling' will take considering that it is gaining mass and the earth is revolving). It is suggested that the tiny black hole would play the earth's magnetic field like a theremin

And the cockroaches still lose

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.