The backside of the mobil technology , another sad story behind the
mobil technology. -service provider is ( I will be banned if I say it).

A grade nine student of a popular girls' school in Colombo has committed suicide after reportedly being ashamed in public by a teacher for having talked over her mobile phone.

The incident had taken place on the 24th

A resident of Malabe, Kavindya Jayawardena had gone to the washroom and hung herself with her tie after the teacher had rebuked her.

The girl died in hospital today.

On the same day, another student of the same school had cut herself with a broken bottle after being scolded by a teacher for having talked over her mobile phone.

original source - http://colombotoday.com/english/articles/NEWS/Schoolgirl-commits-suicide-rebuked-teacher-using-mobile-phone/4304.htm

too sad I don't know it's the problem of the technology or problem
of the school punishing system or school teachers. However is life
is valuable more than technology ? the government just ban some
xxx related sites for a temporary time. Even they don't have the
eneargy to deal with the all underground and political net behind
this industry. However life is a life , for me it's more valuable than
technology.

as tech crews you may be a person who write code for Mobils ,
thinks twice ! however need you're comments !However technology
will run and service providers will run after that time nicely. we
only loose a innocent life. Too sad :(

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

too sad I don't know it's the problem of the technology or problem
of the school punishing system or school teachers. However is life
is valuable more than technology ?

The issue has nothing to do with technology. The trigger for both of these suicides was that the students felt somehow mortified for being scolded for breaking a school rule. It's coincidental that the particular rule being broken was talking on a cell phone. Who knows whether the teachers went overboard in their scolding, but clearly suicide is an overreaction to being called out for breaking a rule in class. I've confiscated many cell phones from students. The worst result I've encountered as a result was a meltdown where I had to send the student to the dean's office, but that's pretty rare and a far cry from suicide. Something much deeper was going on in these students' lives. A healthy individual doesn't kill him/herself over getting a phone confiscated.

I agree with VernonDozier, if you are a perfectly normal and healthy individual, you aren't going to commit suicide over getting you cellphone confiscated/ scolded for taking a call. And if you do, I don't think that its likely that you were going to last too long anyway.

I've confiscated many cell phones from students. The worst result I've encountered as a result was a meltdown where I had to send the student to the dean's office, but that's pretty rare and a far cry from suicide.

Don't agree this.

As I heard ( I'm working on the same city that school was located )
this inicident was ashamed by the teachers. I think this is wrong.
That is a overkill punishment for using internet in a bad way.
And there is a law for the mobil service provides , they can't sell
a SIM for a person who is bellow 18 , so service provider is also
responsible as I think. so the government apply some constrains
to those sites temporary and also to the mobil service provider.
But the government is also just acting. They will be run fine after
that time. we only loose a innocent life.

Don't agree this.

As I heard ( I'm working on the same city that school was located )
this inicident was ashamed by the teachers. I think this is wrong.
That is a overkill punishment for using internet in a bad way.
And there is a law for the mobil service provides , they can't sell
a SIM for a person who is bellow 18 , so service provider is also
responsible as I think. so the government apply some constrains
to those sites temporary and also to the mobil service provider.
But the government is also just acting. They will be run fine after
that time. we only loose a innocent life.

Teachers have every right to confiscate cell phones. They are a disruption in the classroom. Should a student be berated for using one? Probably not. A simple confiscation will usually suffice. The article you link doesn't address whether the teacher went overboard and decided to really humiliate the student needlessly. A teacher needs to know how to use the correct level of punishment when enforcing the class rules on a case by case basis. The society needs to look at itself if it has a culture where being berated causes such stress that a teenager feels the need to kill him/herself. The school need to look at itself and reevaluate whether it missed any obvious signs of depression. The parents need to do the same thing. Clearly the kid had problems.

What does NOT need to happen is that no one should spend any time wondering if the cell phone companies or cell phone availability to teenagers caused this suicide. It didn't. I actually don't know if you have to be 18 to buy one here in the U.S. I would imagine that if you sign a cell phone contract/agreement, you have to be 18 because I think you have to be 18 to sign ANY contract. Generally the parents sign the contracts and buy the phones, then they regret it when they get a $500 phone bill. That's why prepaid is the way to go.

This is pretty funny. I laughed my ass off when I heard she killed herself.

bitch got what she deserved

commented: Still fighting the asperger's syndrome, still trying to fit into society, still trying to be accepted even though your friends and family don't understand you. +22

So from this quick sample are josh2 and sturm speaking from the same ***hole? connected at the hips? just 2 sets of legs connected at the hips - nothing goes in and only bile comes out?

So from this quick sample are josh2 and sturm speaking from the same ***hole? connected at the hips? just 2 sets of legs connected at the hips - nothing goes in and only bile comes out?

They're puppet accounts, from hell.

As a side note, what's the deal with the "Banned" title. I've seen this before. Is this a title that Josh2 selected for himself or was he actually banned from Daniweb and it's automated? And if he's banned, how did he post?

As a side note, what's the deal with the "Banned" title. I've seen this before. Is this a title that Josh2 selected for himself or was he actually banned from Daniweb and it's automated? And if he's banned, how did he post?

Hey jerkoff-- Thataway to hijack this thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.