In October 2009 , one asteroid of radius 10 meters came very close to earth to the point that in a city of indonesia , fire balls were visible which resulted from asteroif getting burnt , even in november another huge asteroid came as close as few thousand miles to earth and in both this occasion NASA did not have any prior information about these asteroids .

Do you still believe NASA's tall claim that if any asteroid is with collision path with earth , NASA will know it 25 years before the collision actually happens.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Do you still believe NASA's tall claim that if any asteroid is with collision path with earth , NASA will know it 25 years before the collision actually happens.

NASA is not the only place that can keep track of the outer space dynamics. and according to the mordern physics if you know the
velocity of a object at the given time you can't predict it , unless you
can only say it statistically. so no matter how much they have the
computing power @ nasa , it is not 100% correct. and more computing
power more correct. There are floating point errors that affects main
calculations. and this is a expanding universe , so things can be changed anytime. it's only probability .

But NASA have already risked our mother earth into danger when they launch the Voyager crafts.
at that time they even didn't have estimated those risks , compared to that today we have great
computing power and more knowledge and more simulations can be done.So most of the time
the predictions can be reliable.

10 meters is like the absolute bottom end of asteroids; anything smaller than 10 meters is a meteoroid so if you are into picking nits - this is the place to start (let me rephrase that - "are you some sort of maroon/moran?").

10 meters is like the absolute bottom end of asteroids; anything smaller than 10 meters is a meteoroid so if you are into picking nits - this is the place to start (let me rephrase that - "are you some sort of maroon/moran?").

I like your arrogance , if it would have hit indonesia , 3 times more energy than that of what was generated in hiroshima would have been released.

I like your arrogance , if it would have hit indonesia , 3 times more energy than that of what was generated in hiroshima would have been released.

So, can you prove that it was 10 meters and not 9.99999 meters? I like your arrogance - if it had been 5 meters and hit indonesia it would have only been 1.5 times the energy generated by the hiroshima blast.

I do not understand your point; the object did not hit the earth and, IIRC, objects of that size do not usually survive to hit the earth.
What is it you expect NASA to do if it saw it? Roughly 6600 Near Earth Objects have been discovered, 1071 of these NEOs are asteroids with a diameter of approximately 1 kilometer or larger. 146 of these NEOs have been classified as Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs). There are currently 1080 known PHAs.

I want you to grasp the concept of 3,000 - that is a huge number and the only way I can get it across is to recommend that you go out into the mountains that are as far away from cities as you can find. Around midnight, after having spent the previous hour with no light but the moonless sky - look up at the stars, it is a gorgeous sight and the number of visible stars is 3,000. Now imagine viewing the sky with a telescope, the number of visible objects increases by factors of 1000 or morel. You can't just look for the ones moving, you have to take multiple pictures all night, many nights in a row. Then you have to compare photos -- ah well, you should know about all that stuff.

I am going to point you here because I love it

commented: nice post. +0

Should be at least 1 kilometer in diameter before it's worth one Hollywood movie!

So if it is 2 klicks in diameter - the first movie blows it in half and the second and third movies go after the 2 pieces.

But NASA have already risked our mother earth into danger when they launch the Voyager crafts.

How are we in danger because of this?

What kind of damage is solar flare going to cause in 2012 ?

In case you did not see the sidenote:

On 13 March 1989, the voltage of Quebec's power grid began to fluctuate alarmingly. Seconds later, the lights went out across the entire province. Some 6 million people were without electricity for nine hours. Within two days, NASA had lost track of some of its spacecraft and the northern lights were glowing in the sky (how CME works and its effects on our planet)

But it was a beautiful series of nights!

Twice in two months ain't bad at all!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.