how dogs got rabies? I dont want answers like "they got it from wild animals, who are infected by rabies, like bats, squirrel, fox, skunk etc.." , its like a loop id doesn't answer the question. i mean how was the 1st infected rabid animal got it?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

The rabies virus came first, me thinks!

Serously....in our country, rabies was believed to be in nature with the dogs, if u get bitten by a dog... it means you got rabies. they dont believe that rabies is a virus which they got from other infected animal. they believe that rabies exist in every dogs even in new born puppy unexposed to any animal... puppies are believed to contain more rabies than adult dogs.

Your country needs more medical training.

We don't have rabies here :).

commented: go australia :) +0

Serously....in our country, rabies was believed to be in nature with the dogs, if u get bitten by a dog... it means you got rabies.

Total cereally! And if u get bitted by girlz then u getz teh cootiez!

commented: Haha :) +0
commented: get bitted? check your grammar loser +0
commented: grammatically incorrect dude... +0

Serously....in our country, rabies was believed to be in nature with the dogs, if u get bitten by a dog... it means you got rabies. they dont believe that rabies is a virus which they got from other infected animal. they believe that rabies exist in every dogs even in new born puppy unexposed to any animal... puppies are believed to contain more rabies than adult dogs.

So your country believes wrongly. Rabies is an old, old virus called Lyssavirus. It is one of 6 members of that family. The word 'rabies' itself is a Sanskrit word (meaning something like 'to do violence') noted around 3000 BCE. Since Sanskrit is considered the first written language, it is possible that rabies is as old as mankind (perhaps as old as mammals). It is worldwide and was believed to have come the the New World across the Bering Strait 50,000 years ago with mankind's migrations so Rabies is closely related to human activity.

The French word rabies is le rage (leh rahg); obvious where the name comes from.

commented: Nice facts and you worked in the French word, how non-gauche +0

So your country believes wrongly. Rabies is an old, old virus called Lyssavirus. It is one of 6 members of that family. The word 'rabies' itself is a Sanskrit word (meaning something like 'to do violence') noted around 3000 BCE. Since Sanskrit is considered the first written language, it is possible that rabies is as old as mankind (perhaps as old as mammals). It is worldwide and was believed to have come the the New World across the Bering Strait 50,000 years ago with mankind's migrations so Rabies is closely related to human activity.

The French word rabies is le rage (leh rahg); obvious where the name comes from.

at last.... a guy with sense step in.....hmmm.... interesting... i didn't know rabies was a very2 old virus... so the rabies came from human? It really alarming that the rabies has no cure... once the rabies go in your brain and symptoms start showing... death comes next.

@grim jack... i read the link... full information... ty

Not sure that the virus is from humans - more likely that we co-evolved together (using 'we' in the grandest sense to include most terrestrial mammals). If a person is bit by a rabid animal, there is a 72 hour window in which the person can be saved by the rabies vaccine. Once the virus gets into the CNS you can expect symptoms such as paralysis, hydrophobia (fear of water), confusion, hallucination, anxiety, and insomnia. Once these signs appear, it's probably too late for you to receive the post exposure vaccine (the vaccine given to victims immediately after they are bitten).

If you see any mammal behaving in a way not true to its nature, run away. I mean nocturnal animals active during the day, shy animals approaching humans. The reason that bats infect people is that some twit says "ooh, look a bat - let's go pick it up" whereas, raccoons will actually attack. The vaccines are no longer a painful series in the stomach - they are now a painful series in the butt.

dogs dont have rabies with them. I dont believe that puppies have higher rabies content than adult dogs. Those dogs usually wander outside the house have higher risk of getting rabies that those staying at home. rabies can be found in garbage cans, trashes. Dogs attack someone without any reason have high risk that they are infected by rabies. But dogs attacking humans with reasons like got new born pups or something like we accidentally step on their tails or something like a stranger getting inside their house are normally not infected. But we need to be cautious and have ourselves and all family members get anti rabies vaccination.

commented: really? nice info...then we had a very incorrect belief eversince +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.