Have a look at THIS link.

Your every move can be tracked via your mobile's UD (mobile device unique identifier) and a lot of spam etc can be send. It does not seem that we have any say over this at all, although two people already started legal action in the States.

Whats your view on this?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

>> As you may have guessed, I’m not all that concerned with third parties, even advertisers, knowing the age, gender, UDID, and/or the general (or even specific) location of my device’s end-user (that’s me). To worry about such a thing just seems silly.

Count me out. If I didn't give them specific permission to keep track of my personal information and they don't tell me they're doing it and they don't tell me why they're collecting and who they're giving it to, they shouldn't be collecting it. They REALLY don't need to be able to pinpoint my location in real time. This trend has gone way too far. It's rife with potential mischief. We need some safeguards.

>> If enough information is collected by enough apps, and fed to the same repository, a profile of the device’s end-user (you) can be created and… targeted for advertising?

Targeted for God knows what. Advertising. Arrest. Burglary. Assassination. The paparazzi. Some psycho stalker. Blackmail. The sky's the limit. Car theft. If I want to wear an electronic bracelet, I'll commit some heinous crime and wear it as part of my parole, thank you very much. Until then, I don't need advertisers, the government, or anyone else who can hack into the database knowing exactly where I am 24/7.

Don't have a cellphone, and this is another reason why.

If I want to wear an electronic bracelet, I'll commit some heinous crime and wear it as part of my parole, thank you very much. Until then, I don't need advertisers, the government, or anyone else who can hack into the database knowing exactly where I am 24/7.

My thoughts exactly. Why would anyone want to build a profile of me. Its MY life and MY privacy.

Don't have a cellphone, and this is another reason why.

You are one of the VERY few lucky ones. My business revolves around constant communication though, so I'm stuck with it. If you don't need it, don't get it!;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.