Lone Survivor - I thought it was okay on the edge of good. I thought of a parody, they could title it "Loan Survivor" and I could play the main character :-\

Member Avatar for diafol

Pulp Fiction (again). Working through a Christmas set of Tarantino DVDs. The dialogue is just utter class. There are too many epic scenes for one movie - ridiculous.

Watched Captain Phillips last night. Tom Hanks is a really great actor. That was an intense movie imo.

commented: Yes, it was a great film. it was a shocker to me that he had received no oscar/golden globe nomination... :( +0

Stargate -- oldie but goodie.

Watched Triads, Yardies and Onion Bhajees (Once Upon A Time In Southall) on Friday and then the film it was so clearly paying homage to, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, on Saturday (for the umpteenth time).

Enjoyed both, but you have to give the nod to Guy Ritchie when it comes to telling a story to be honest, and IMHO it has nothing to do with budgets etc. I did like the fact that Onion Bhajees was shot in black and white apart from one touch of one colour (red) in the final scene. Worked well with the gritty subject matter. IMDB user reviews are way out of line giving it a 1/10 and saying 'worse film ever' etc. It's reviews like that which encourage me to watch a movie, if the plebs hate it then I usually like it :)

Member Avatar for diafol

LSA2SB is one of my favourite films. I love Snatch too. May give Bhajees a look, although all the reviewers seem to be saying the same thing. Copycats or no smoke without two barrels?

The storytelling isn't as polished as Lock Stock, and the direction has a tendency to drift into being a little too arthouse at times, but you do get that 'care about the character' feeling which is the main thing. Well, about the main Asian characters at least - the other gangs involved are all rather marginal; so much so that the Yardies don't even feature in the first hour...

Worth a look though, if you can find it in a 2nd hand shop like I did for a couple of quid.

I, Frankenstein

A very vague beginning and a disinteresting villain.

Movie 43 - I laughed pretty hard at this one. I can't believe I had not seen it before, and I can't believe that anyone I talk to about it has not seen it yet. It's on Netflix right now.

I watched "The Wolf of Wall Street" this weekend. This movie is actually based on the true story of Jordan Belfort.

Archer, not a movie but damn funny imo. I'm easy like that!

commented: You're right. This is a hoot. +0

I'll have to have a look. We just finished The Legend of Korra and we need something new.

Not a movie, but watched a CNN special The British Invasion of America, all about the 50th anniversery of the Beetles in America. Very inteesting, brought back a lot of fond memories from that era.

I'm going to watch the new Carrie tonight on Bluray. I liked the old one and have heard good things about this one.

Carrie was alright, better than the first imo.

Member Avatar for diafol

I thought the original Carrie was a classic.

It was a classic and I would say still so however Hollywood can do so much more with graphics now, which made the new one better imo. Plus, I liked the characters more in the new one.

The Wolf Of Wall Street.. super funny movie!

Lego Movie, it was a good film (i was actually surprised...)

@Reverend Jim what if you are in the top 20%?

Funny thing. I haven't checked on the reviews or ratings for Dark City in some years but I recall many bad reviews and anyone I knew who saw it really didn't like it. I see on IMDB that it has a 7.8 rating so it looks like it is finally being appreciated.

Great film. Yessssssssssss. :)

Yeah, Dark City is definitely a great movie, and really underrated, or maybe it just clashes too much with mainstream.

I just saw Gravity yesterday.. yeah, I know, I'm a little late on that. The movie was really good.. very dramatic and very well shot.

But having a Masters in Space Science and Technology kind of spoiled it a bit. It was kind of hard to "suspend disbelief" when there are so many inaccuracies (maybe subtle enough for the uninitiated, but glaring for trained eyes). I understand that if it was made to be entirely accurate, it would either be one and a half hour of completely uneventful work on the Hubble telescope, or the movie would be over in 5 minutes after one shocking scene. So, I get it, reality is bent to serve the story. But still, it's hard to watch when you go "WTF!" every 2 minutes throughout the movie.

I have the same problem with 'hacker' movies and find them very hard to watch as a result.

Member Avatar for diafol

I have the same problem with 'superhero' movies... ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.