What are the natural disasters that you have to learn to live with in your area?

I just moved from the Las Vegas area where we had to live with drought, very high summer temperatures (up to 45 degree C) and the occasional smoke of a far away wildfire. The new area is further north in the mountains near Lake Tahoe. Now I have to learn to live with drought, forest fires that are closer, mountain passes that are closed due to snow, and an occasional mild earthquake.

Recommended Answers

All 43 Replies

By the bay area in CA, we have the same earthquakes and drought, and heat and such, but in Los Angeles we have the constant smog as well. In Canada, snow can indeed get quite bad, and I once experienced a temperatur-based disaster. All the fish in a lake died during a particularly hot summer because the lake heated up, leaving the whitefish in the lake to be caught between low oxygen areas in the bottom of the lake, and high temperature areas at the top.

http://m.torontosun.com/2012/07/23/scientist-warns-piegon-lake-problems-will-continue

I think that counts, right?

When I lived in Canada (near Toronto) I had to deal with: snow (no problem as long as you kept enough food to last you 2 days so you could wait until the plows cleared the roads), ice (much worse because often it would be hidden under a thin layer of snow so you don't know its there until you're already falling on your ass), the tail ends of hurricanes (just a really bad storm really), and annual algal blooms (makes the tap water smell gross).

Now that I'm living in England I'm having to learn to live with floods, and the panic that ensues whenever the weather forcast predicts a few centimeters of snow.

Floods are definitely my most disliked of the lot because they are ugly and uninteresting most of the time, and incovenient and expensive to clean up after. Ice storms are the most dangerous natural disaster I've had to deal with but are also the most beautiful.

As a native resident of the UK, I think floods and high-winds are about the worst of it. I live in Somerset, very near the levels which were badly affected by flooding earlier in the year. Luckily where I live we've been spared from any flooding so far. But I don't know how long that will last. Flooding is an issue that is very close to home, as it were! :/

And I'm with Agilemind on the snow thing, heh heh. I really don't get why there is such panic in the media here in the UK whenever there is a light dusting of snow. And it's not just reserved for snow, the media also seem to try to induce panic when there's going to be high winds or heavy rain too. :/

Here in Winnipeg we used to have occasional floods from the Red River. The one in 1950 caused widespread destruction. Since then we built the Floodway which diverts the water around the city. In terms of construction, it was a larger project than the building of the Panama Canal, however, we had the use of heavy machinery as opposed to mules. We had the so-called flood of the century in 1997 which prompted a widening of the entire Floodway to accomodate larger flows. We still get flooding in the rest of the southern basin outside the city (and we still sandbag inside the city in places). Residents on Lake Manitoba have seen their houses destroyed in successive years by both water and ice.

In my area flash floods are a pain, so are dust storms.

A winter storm is closing in with 18 inches of snow expected above 7000 feet. Let's see how my new Jeep will do.

the main natural disasters here are the politicians...

Member Avatar for Warrens80

I Live in Indiana.You wanna talk another weird wether.. you never know what the weather is going to be day to day!

Three feet of snow in parts of Upper Michigan is pretty hefty. You have to be pretty good with the snow shovel! I remember going there on vacation, glad that I picked summer and not winter.

44degC today,
cooled off now,
its 38
summer doesnt start till next month
then it will be 40-50 every day till april
that doesnt count as heat wave,
its like that every year,
you actually get used to it
on 30deg mornings you sit around drinking coffee, in a thick coat, bitching about the cold
May 4 we go back to canada for summer(?) its 30max there same as winter here

we will have to start a burn soon, clear a firebreak,

In Seattle the main distraction is plate subduction quakes plus there has been so much fill that the ground could liquify and everything sink just a bit - they found a valley of mammals that seem to have been standing around when the ground liquified, then resolidified and they died trapped body deep in ground.

Right now it's tumbleweed season. Darn are those things nasty!

Plenty of hail stone showers, rain, wind and cold temp today. Temp has dropped quite a bit lately. Pales in comparison to the Philippines at the moment though so I count myself lucky.

Vega: We used to spray tumbleweeds with fake snow and use them as Xmas trees. Hard to believe that 'weeds are not native to US - what would a western be w/o the lonesome train whistle and tumbleweeds rolling down the empty streets?!

Just survived the "Pineapple Express" that gave large parts of California nine inches of rain.

New York city is expecting up to 2 feet of snow on Monday. That's tough on a big city and all the commuters.

The smoke from the large forest fires in Russia has made it all the way across the Pacific and is now very noticeable on the West coast of North America. I hope the thimbleheads in the nation's capitol that are so eager to commit a preemptive nuclear strike on Russia realize where the fallout will go.

You mean the same pinheads who want to get rid of the EPA so that US industries (like fracking) can pollute the same water that we all have to drink? I somehow don't think they are too concerned.

Very cold here 0 degrees at night! very cold

In my younger days I lived in Michigan for a while, and still remember the hasty retreats to the basement because the nearby tornado siren went off.

Last week there is a Massive earthquake at Nepal, death toll going to cross 10K.

What was worse is that it caused an avalanche on the Himalayas causing 10 of those deaths and a lot of destruction.

Flinders Rangers next term in Winter going to be way below -3 degrees and whats worse is that I have to stay there for a week! This term is much worse as I have to ride 300km on a bike to Port Lincoln.

I live in the north west of England and we basically have nothing which could be considered a disaster.

The snow panic in the UK is because we simply are not built for it and authorities are too tight to grit and clear roads and railway lines, so whenever we get a couple of inches of snow, most of the country grinds to a halt.

Having said that, my husband considers it a disaster when a premier league game falls on the same day as an FA cup tie.

Oh and every once in a while, Chubby Brown comes to town.

Having said that, my husband considers it a disaster when a premier league game falls on the same day as an FA cup tie.

I'm with him on that one, it's so inconsiderate!!

Oh and every once in a while, Chubby Brown comes to town.

That made me chuckle.

I live in the north west of England and we basically have nothing which could be considered a disaster

Halifax. I give you Halifax...

Lemme guess that Hurricane Juan ripped through Halifax in 2003, the Halifax explosion which happened during WW1and the A classed Japan bombs that ripped through the city which killed more than 1,900 people.

another earthquake on Papua New Gunie

Papua_New_Guinea_-_earth_quake-6.8_.png

Papua_New_Guinea_-_earth_quake.png

interesting should be in the news today when I get home and get achancebto watch it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.