I appreciate all numbers but I only care for and like even numbers (perhaps its an OCD thing ;) )

As programmers we all work with numbers all the time; which types of numbers do you like, prefer, and\or adore, and why?

regards,

Matty D.

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

I prefer large numbers of wombats.

(Well, since there's no large numbers, I've voted for "0" to be neutral.)

I prefer large numbers of wombats.

:)

I wished DMR could still do that.

:)

:?: Do What?

...you mean DMR can't anymore? Did he get in trouble or something? :cheesy:

-edit- Nevermind... I guess I forgot to read page 2 of that thread.

I wish DMR could still do that.

:?: Do What?

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread62631-2.html

DMR can't 'alter' polls anymore.

And I know that you're probably against him doing it, but it's more of a tradition for polls in the Geek's Lounge as the 'no opinion' answer. ;)

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread62631-2.html

And I know that you're probably against him doing it, but it's more of a tradition for polls in the Geek's Lounge as the 'no opinion' answer. ;)

I see. I understand. But, I do not agree with this "tradition" as you deem it and obviously those who make final decisions here on such matters do not either. Obviously, the original poster\ Poll-maker did not appreciate it. So, rationalize that, please.

And, Please note: read the thread carefully; the problem I had was with the throwing around of the derogatory statements about "gays". As to the altered poll-- that is just an immature annoyance in my opinion and also not proper. Wombats? :-| A unique poll can be easily posted for all of those in on this inside joke of sorts to vote on.
This kid was posting a poll about favorite musicians of his, not "wombats".

Not everyone in this World observes other's "traditions".

Anyhow-- can you all drop it? :-|

~Matty D.

It's more of a tradition for polls in the Geek's Lounge as the 'no opinion' answer. ;)

Yeah, that was about the size of it- just a few drops of levity in this churning sea of technicality; I'd never muck with a serious post.
But, as it turns out, it seems that a "Ricky vs. Enrique" poll is a serious post. ;)

I'm tempted to elaborate on my *cough* feelings about this, but I won't...

I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike even numbers only .. i really hate the odd ones!

Me misses the wombats option -_- it was fun .. nyway .. tata

I like binary numbers, but that wasn't an option...

Maybe someone should start a poll to find out what people think about wombat's ;)

Niek

Well, I still can, but then Dani would spank me pretty hard and... hmmm, wait a minute... :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Maybe someone should start a poll to find out what people think about wombat's ;)

Niek

... and maybe someone is about to do just that. ;)

I like binary numbers, but that wasn't an option...

What's different about binary numbers? numbers are numbers. binary is just a representation, binary numbers can be odd/even/random/zero/all/unlikeable just as much as decimal ones or octal or hexadecimal etc.. blah...

I like 0. Because being a pessimist it goes well with the pessimistic image. Zero is zero and nothing but 0.

Well actually if you will notice that there is quite a bit of history and controversy associated with it.

My favorite number is the smallest uninteresting positive integer.

What's different about binary numbers? numbers are numbers

Very clever response. I guess I like 0's and 1's then :confused:
But 0 isn't really a number is it? I mean black isn't a color.... 0 = NULL = nothing...:)

0 (zero) is both a number — or, more precisely, a numeral representing a number — and a numerical digit. It represents the concept of nothing; an absence of other values, and is used as a placeholder in place value systems. Zero was the last digit to be incorporated in most numeral systems. In the English language, zero may also be called nil when a number, o/oh when a numeral, and nought/naught in either context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_(number)

The "Zero" is also a sweet, historical plane ;)
[IMG]http://www.btinternet.com/~lee_mail/Zero-1.jpg[/IMG]

** And, according to the poll, even numbers rule :!: :!: :cheesy:

Zero was the last digit to be incorporated in most numeral systems

Hmm, I always thought the last number added was ' j ' (Don't know if it's called j in US/England). j^2 = -1

I like even numbers. I think I am OCD when it comes to somethings lol

My favorite number is the smallest uninteresting positive integer.

If some positive integers are uninteresting, then there must be a smallest positive uninteresting integer. But this unique characteristic its very self makes that number interesting. So there can be no smallest uninteresting positive integer.

:cheesy:

I'd like to give a big shout out to Solitary Numbers. I'd like to be their friend but they're not having any of it.
They are so much more interesting than Friendly Numbers though ... friendly pairs are just so much into each other they don't have time for anyone else.

Hmm, I always thought the last number added was ' j ' (Don't know if it's called j in US/England). j^2 = -1

that is an imagenary number. I think it is represented by the letter 'i', not 'j'. I flunked biology so I don't really know:mrgreen:

Therefore, i equals the square root of -1.

You don't have to be a einstein to know that :p :

j^2 = -1

I remeber when they first told me this a few years ago: "i (or j in holland) is a number that doesn't exist, but i^2 = -1" Yeah...

even numbers just seem so much nicer to me.

I like pi, it's really cool. And I like phi.

Damn..so less votes for 0 ;)

But do you know something? 1 is really equal to 2. Let a equal b:

1. a = b
  2. a^2 = ab
  3. a^2 + a^2 = ab + a^2
  4. 2a^2 = a^2 + ab
  5. 2a^2 - 2ab = a^2 - ab
  6. 2(a^2 - ab) = 1(a^2 - ab)
  7. Divide both sides by (a^2 - ab), and voila!
  8. 2=1

There, I've just proved that 1=2!

(Obviously there's an error somewhere in this formula, but that's the fun of it :mrgreen:)

And I like phi.

After "Da Vinci Code" who wouldn't?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.