How much sleep do you get each night? Sleep is so important and personally I wish I could get alot more of it. I get 7 hrs per day and feel very tired. I think 9 would be beter.

Recommended Answers

All 57 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I try to get 8hrs in.

Sleep(1000 * 60 * 60 * 7);

usually 4-5 hours.

How much sleep do you get each night? Sleep is so important and personally I wish I could get alot more of it. I get 7 hrs per day and feel very tired. I think 9 would be beter.

On an average, I get about 8-hours of sleep each night. This is not planned, but only the result of the sleeping extremes that exist; sometimes I sleep for only 4-5 hours, sometimes 12-13. It depends.

I live on a rather strange sleep cycle (if you can call it a cycle, as it has no defined begin-end point) I work from home as a programmer and set my own hours; I am currently working for a company in the early-development stages of a video game. This is wonderful but it fuels my erratic sleep cycles-- once I begin something I cannot stop easily until I at least understand or finish a healthy portion, until I hit a goal point for that evening.

I usually stay up until 5 P.M. (East Coast Time) then sleep until I wake-up, sometimes only after a few hours, sometimes very late. Time has ceased to exist for the most part. This is a great freedom, but it can be unhealthy after a while I believe.

I love to sleep, but I hate going to bed. My ideal hours of sleep would be 10-hours. With this I feel most rested.

Regards,
sharky_machine

Anything over 6 hours, continual sleep is a bonus for me :!:

I try to get 9 hours. However, when I'm working on a new feature for DaniWeb, or bug fixing, or just in the middle of something, I can't stop until it's done ... and have been known to pull one too many allnighters because of it. The problem, it seems, is that I always seem to come up with my best ideas right before bedtime, and I don't sleep until I've implemented the idea. My longest time up at once coding was roughly 36 hours, the time it took to code the blog and code snippet sections, start to finish.

Hi all,

Well, what can I say, I am filled with ambivelance, a part of me feels good that i'm not alone but at the same time I feel bad for all the people who are not getting the rest they deserve.

Sharky - I used to date a guy who was in to programming and he like you worked from home, it was madness to say the least, he became obsessed with his work, sadly he is not in the best of health, the result being high blood pressure, chronic insomnia and physical pains. You work to hard and need to "learn how to love going to bed"

Dani- What a cool name you have! I love it. You are very young and have your whole life ahead of you, don't kill yourself over any work.

The problem we have in America is that we are an industrialized nation that focuses way to much on "production" and as a result we are unable to find that critical balance between work, joy, family and fun. 36 hours girl? I can't even imagine what your stomach and head must have felt like?

As for myself, I need to find a way to get 9 hours, afterall, paying with your health is a pretty hefty price if you ask me......Justine

I usally go to sleep around 3AM or 4AM and I wake up at around 11-12 :) I find it is much more relaxing to work on my web sites in the morning with less disturbances and it is so much quieter.

8 - 9 hrs

I usally go to sleep around 3AM or 4AM and I wake up at around 11-12 :) I find it is much more relaxing to work on my web sites in the morning with less disturbances and it is so much quieter.

Those are similar to my hours, especially now that the bowling alley is open and it closes at 1 am.

i get about 2 as i have insomnia (go on daniweb instead hehehehe)
(i could potentially have 7)

I love to hear that :)

Depends -- never is fixed.

Normal hours are from 3 AM to 7 AM.

well i have to get up at 6 for college grr...................
and i dont get back till 6 then i have work for 2 hours
then i have like 4 hours of homework

I goto sleep at 12:30-1am and wake up around 7:30-8am.

Those are similar to my hours, especially now that the bowling alley is open and it closes at 1 am.

Gee, so after 1AM you can just go here :D

7AM?!?! Heck, Life begins at Noon!

But I was just talking to you online a couple of minutes ago, and it's after 3 am for me (and 2 am for you).

But I was just talking to you online a couple of minutes ago, and it's after 3 am for me (and 2 am for you).

We're all staying up on <DaniWeb>... That's awesome. I am here on <DaniWeb>, watching SouthPark, Writing Python code, and playing video games all at the same time :) *Multi-tasking ;) This is all quite fun and I work best at night. I will sleep in a few hours, but until then the Internet calls :p !

Regards,

sharky_machine

thats why PDA's are a nerds best friend
I curl up in bed and use my PockectPC to SSH into my systems, connect to my terminal servers, speak on MSN and answer posts on daniweb
Also your parents never know your up all night if you do it that way

4 hours if I am lucky.

I suffered a neck injury (nerve damage leading to neuropathic pain) in a motorway pile-up some 8 years ago, and as a result wake up every 10-15 minutes during the night, even if I wear the uncomfortable collar that is meant to act as a barrier between my neck and the pillow/bed to prevent numb the pain.

Sometimes I drink myself into a long sleep, but only as a last resort and maybe once a month at the most I guess...

I get about 8 hours but I am always completely knacked. Oh well

Good to see everyone up soooooo late on Fri. Not me, I turned in around midnight, for some reason I feel more tired on Fridays and Sundays then any other day. Has anyone been up all night on Dani Web?

Davey - I hope you feel better. It must be really hard to sleep to get a good nights rest. Have you tried alternative therapies?
My goal is 9 hrs, that's the amount we all should be getting each night. Well, time for a BRIEF nap......Justine

Gee, so after 1AM you can just go here :D
7AM?!?! Heck, Life begins at Noon!

Well, "Life" may begin at noon, but "Work" begins at 10am, and it's an hour drive into the office. :rolleyes:

4 hours if I am lucky.

I suffered a neck injury (nerve damage leading to neuropathic pain) in a motorway pile-up some 8 years ago, and as a result wake up every 10-15 minutes during the night, even if I wear the uncomfortable collar that is meant to act as a barrier between my neck and the pillow/bed to prevent numb the pain.

Sometimes I drink myself into a long sleep, but only as a last resort and maybe once a month at the most I guess...

ow nasty

Davey - I hope you feel better. It must be really hard to sleep to get a good nights rest. Have you tried alternative therapies?

I've tried everything, from acupuncture through to meditation, hypnosis and various Chinese herbal remedies. I have also been visiting the pain clinic at the hospital for 6 years, and have been on all sorts of medications. Some work better than others, the cortico-steroid injections into the cervical spinal gap, done as day surgery in theatre, worked well - but I had to have them every 8 weeks and the side effects build over time so they had to stop. Opiates work well, but again side effects prevent long term use.

In the end I have come off all the pain meds other than the odd paracetamol, and use heat/ice treatments to relieve the pain a little, together with a TENS machine that helps a bit as well.

Like all things, you get used to even quite severe pain after a while. That said, I have a fairly high threshold, as the number of tattoos I have will testify :)

I've tried everything, from acupuncture through to meditation, hypnosis and various Chinese herbal remedies. I have also been visiting the pain clinic at the hospital for 6 years, and have been on all sorts of medications. Some work better than others, the cortico-steroid injections into the cervical spinal gap, done as day surgery in theatre, worked well - but I had to have them every 8 weeks and the side effects build over time so they had to stop. Opiates work well, but again side effects prevent long term use.

In the end I have come off all the pain meds other than the odd paracetamol, and use heat/ice treatments to relieve the pain a little, together with a TENS machine that helps a bit as well.

*sigh*I think everyone in this world has his / her share of pain.....looks like it can't be helped.

So in the end my signature stands correct.

Me, I get about 8-9 hours of sleep. On weekends when I'm really lazy, sometimes I sleep for nearly 12 hours. :cheesy:
ZZzzzzz.......

So in the end my signature stands correct.

On what basis do you make this judgement? If you're an atheist, do you really believe that you "evolved from a rock"? :D

I am led to believe, if family folklore is correct, that I evolved from a rock and roll concert...

*sigh*I think everyone in this world has his / her share of pain.....looks like it can't be helped.

Untrue.

"So in the end my signature stands correct."

In My Opinion: In the end, that signature, in part, will be only a shattered opinion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.