What is your favorite comfort or theme food? What do you like about it? What are your memories of it?

How many of you are away from home? or Just wanna fet that warm feeling. For example I don't have just one comfort food ... I have foods that are theme foods .. Like when you're out alll nite with friends or you have to work late (I like eating pancakes), or finding a all night taco truck.

When I'm away from home ... chili and rice or spam and rice? I always had a rice cooker with me so when i got fed up with eating out.... I could make a like home cooked meal by finding a 24 hr market .. buying a chicken some frozen veggies and I would make my friends or coworkers a near home cooked meal.

What are your favorites?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Great post topic. I like alot of types of food-- I will try to stick to just some of them:

• Mashed potatos\ sauerkraut: this is my ethnic background; add a little sausage to this and that's real eating.
  • Indian food: besides Italian, this is my favorite food from a paticular country. Aloo Gobi (sp) with nan bread, chutneys, finished off with rosewater ice cream, perhaps a glass of white wine-- heavenly.
  • My girlfiend is Cuban and cooks for me almost every night. She has turned me onto SO much good, high quality food: chorizo sausage :cheesy: , plantains, wheat smoothies, cuban bread, loads of REAL butter, empanadas, guava, fried bananas, real rice (not instant :evil: !), flan, Spanish steak :!: ; everything cooked with olive oil, Kosher salt, spices, and wine, drenched in fresh lime. Wow-- it is 6:30 A.M. here in NY and I am getting hungry again (still have not gone too bed YET).
  • All real Italian (some of the best in this region). My favorite of which I cannot get enough... Penne Vodka (penne pasta cooked in a cream-Vodka sauce. It's the best.) I am going to make a Penne Vodka Lasagna tommorow actually. Can't wait.
  • Middle-Eastern food (hummus, tabouli, pita, grape leaves, lamb) && Jewish food (keugal, kosher meats).

Regards,
sharky_machine

>What is your favorite comfort or theme food? What do you like about it? What are your memories of it?
A glass of milk reminds me of family and the beach because when I was a kid, my grandmother always made me drink milk at meals. Now I don't need to be forced, and the taste reminds me of those fun years. :)

Indian food: besides Italian, this is my favorite food from a paticular country. Aloo Gobi (sp) with nan bread, chutneys, finished off with rosewater ice cream, perhaps a glass of white wine-- heavenly.

Yeah Aloo gobi paranthas with bamboo pickle are heavenly( Bet you haven't had this combination :p ).And the rosewater ice cream is actually called Falooda.

And as far as I am concerned I try to keep it simple and healthy and normally stick to only Indian food. They include chapatis, rice, dal and sabji.

Comfort food? Hmmm, has to be Marmite pinwheels baked fresh by Mrs Happygeek.

Well, it would be if it were not for the fact that I just discovered I have an intolerance to yeast, which is what Marmite is.

So now my comfort food is bananas.

You know ... I'm a rice eatin' fool but having good mashed potatoes and meatloaf reminds me of a girl friends who had great food timing.... she could whip up a great simple home cooked meal at just the right time for me .. When I would work late, when the weather was really cruddy or if I had a bad day. I really miss her meathloaf though...

the lasagne looks great .. I would have eaten half that dish an about a loaf of garlic bread with it..

happy geek did the pinwheels have cinnamon also... I'd take the ponwhells over bananas .. but have you ever had the banana's with caramel sauce and flaming brandy ... if forgot the name of the recipe ..but that and Ice cream is really great.

milk mustaches .. right narue

Hey Guys the food sounds great ... You all have inspired me to cook again... Last year I had a stroke so i get drowsy when I tilt my head to chop stuff and cook ... Lately I've been really recovering well so this weekend I tried cooking again.. and you know .. I found out that I can cook again... but it gives me great comfort.. And I've even eaten or drank each one of you entries ... THANKS TO ALL AND TO ALL GOOD EATING THIS HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!

I would have to say beer!!!! lots and lots of beer!!!!!!!!

then it's chips and salsa to wake me up so I can go get more beer!!!!!

lol

seriously, I love chocolate. It is the only thing that really settles me down!!!!!

Javanewbie

Hey Java ... have you ever that the chocolate made by sobe? White, Milk or Dark Chocolate

nice topic,

i'd have to say the ultimate comfort food is made at a chinese buffet, you eat so much you don't want to go for months...now that's my idea of comfort :cheesy:

seriously, I love chocolate. It is the only thing that really settles me down!!!!!

Javanewbie

Yes, I am quite a chocolate junkie; That with coffee keeps me up all night, and then I wonder why I have such insomnia. Chocolate + coffee + cigarettes + complier\ Internet = 6:00 A.M. bed times. :eek: But, I do so enjoy it. ;) Chocolate is Awesome!

For Italian food I like Il Cortile at 123 Mulberry St in Little Italy, NYC and Sal Anthony's SPQR a couple doors down.

Great post topic. I like alot of types of food-- I will try to stick to just some of them:

• Mashed potatos\ sauerkraut: this is my ethnic background; add a little sausage to this and that's real eating.
  • Indian food: besides Italian, this is my favorite food from a paticular country. Aloo Gobi (sp) with nan bread, chutneys, finished off with rosewater ice cream, perhaps a glass of white wine-- heavenly.
  • My girlfiend is Cuban and cooks for me almost every night. She has turned me onto SO much good, high quality food: chorizo sausage :cheesy: , plantains, wheat smoothies, cuban bread, loads of REAL butter, empanadas, guava, fried bananas, real rice (not instant :evil: !), flan, Spanish steak :!: ; everything cooked with olive oil, Kosher salt, spices, and wine, drenched in fresh lime. Wow-- it is 6:30 A.M. here in NY and I am getting hungry again (still have not gone too bed YET).
  • All real Italian (some of the best in this region). My favorite of which I cannot get enough... Penne Vodka (penne pasta cooked in a cream-Vodka sauce. It's the best.) I am going to make a Penne Vodka Lasagna tommorow actually. Can't wait.
  • Middle-Eastern food (hummus, tabouli, pita, grape leaves, lamb) && Jewish food (keugal, kosher meats).

Regards,
sharky_machine

Dani, I'm one pasta eatin machine ... but when I'm in Kaua'i i go to a hole in the wall called hanamura's .. its cheap, good eats .. but its just a little bigger than a dorm room ... but the noodle soup is 'onolicious ... great...

Comfort food? Pork Pies.

So round and more-ish... *mouthwaters*

They remind me of jolly round thing, like Santa, or cute bunnies.

Not that I'd eat either of those...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.