Do you smoke cigarettes? Have You quit? What do you think of smoking?

Tuesday, December 17 2006 is set as my "quit date" for smoking. Not only is smoking deadly but it is incredibly expensive (where I live, Marlboros run between $6.00-10.00 per pack depending where you buy them)

I must stop.

sharky_machine

Recommended Answers

All 41 Replies

Do you smoke cigarettes? Have You quit? What do you think of smoking?

Nope, never have smoked. I have asthma, and even just being around smoke (aka bowling alleys) kills me.

I smoked since high school, and just got the guts to stop in Sep 2001. One of the main reasons I stopped was cost -- the cost nearly $5.00 USD per pack in my area, and its a lot more expensive than that in other parts of USA. It was like tossing $5.00 out the window every time I drove past a store. And I was smoking up to 5 packs a day!

Never smoked, never will. Don't have asthma, but I do find my lungs being somewhat sensitive to smoke and exhaust fumes. Probably too much exposure when I was a little kid. As long as the smoke doesn't get to me though, I don't really care what other people do.

Have never smoked and and hoping that I never will.

Some guys get a kick out of it but I am better off with my coffee and tea. Smoking not only affects the person smoking, but also the ones around him.

But if someone is smoking at a place where others are not bothered, its ok with me. After all its his life and he has the right to ruin it the way he wants...

and he has the right to ruin it the way he wants...

Completely agreed.

@Sharky_machine - Good luck with the quitting. :)

Yes, smokers should have the right to smoke- though only when it is not infringing the rights of other who do not wish to smoke 'second-hand'.

That's just one reason why I agree with the smoking ban in public places in the UK, coming June '07

smokers however do cause severe problems for non-smokers indirectly even when they don't expose those non-smokers to their smoke.

The far higher incidence of serious respiratory problems among smokers is a large drain on healthcare resources which are (in many countries) paid for by taxpayers at least in large part.
That cost is only partly offset by taxes on tobacco products.

Giving up date is Jan 1st 2007, new years resolution and all that! Cigarettes in the UK are expesive compared to other EU countries and by the sounds of it the states too! 20 Marlboro Lights are £5.47 which is just over $10, quite expensive im sure you will aggree!!

Smoked for 7 years, no intention to stop even with the prices nowadays.

smokers however do cause severe problems for non-smokers indirectly

That's true and I always ask people if it's ok before lighting a sigarette. But people with fuel-guzling-cars also cause healthproblems...
But I'll probably have to quit smoking in a year, because it will then be illegal to smoke in public in Holland....

niek

I quit, oh, must be about 12 years ago now I guess. Decided I didn't want to kill myself using that particular poison one night and never smoked another ciggy from then on.

Funny thing is, I have never ever once felt the urge to smoke either.

Makes me wonder why I started in the first place.

20 Marlboro Lights are £5.47 which is just over $10,

OMG and I thought ours were expensive:eek: I know the price of gas is about twice as ours too.

Well although I have only legally been able to smoke for about 2 months in the UK I still have had the chance as most people do for many years now. However, I would never smoke because of the risks mainly, the fact that you smell like an ash tray, and the cost.

I am absolutely 100% against smoking.

Yeah, the smell gets to me as well now. If I were still in the hunt for a partner I suspect that smelling like an ash tray would not be on the top of my list of must haves.

Mind you, chances are it would be a bonus compared to some of my, er, finer points :)

*silence*

I would say that even though this was 4 years ago it backs up what everyone's been saying...but somehow it just doesn't seem right...

Makes me wonder why I started in the first place.

I first started in 1988 at the age of 17 when I saw The Pogues in concert; it was an amazing show and I got very high from my first cigs. I did not think much about it then-- but I find it is all I think about now at times, at least at certain points in my day :cry:. What a horrible addiction. :sad:

smokers however do cause severe problems for non-smokers indirectly even when they don't expose those non-smokers to their smoke.

The far higher incidence of serious respiratory problems among smokers is a large drain on healthcare resources which are (in many countries) paid for by taxpayers at least in large part.
That cost is only partly offset by taxes on tobacco products.

Or perhaps smokers reduce the overall medical expense of society by dying sooner instead of lingering on to drain social programs!

"Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a thousand times."

I smoke. I don't want my kids to smoke. I'd like to quit someday. But I think junk science creeps in to the studies based on various agendas.

[Edit]Heh. At this moment we're the statistical 20%!

if you don't want your kids to start smoking, set them an example.
Best way (for you) to do that is to quit.
Another way would be to develop lung cancer, but that's not so nice for you though it might shock the kids into never wanting to touch a fag ever.

Another way would be to develop lung cancer, but that's not so nice for you though it might shock the kids into never wanting to touch a fag ever.

Not something to make fun of... :(

My parents never smoked but I still started smoking. A few of my friends don't smoke although there parents smoke more then Clint Eastwood. I agree that smoking isn't setting a good example but everone has a free will to either start or don't start smoking.

Niek

Not making fun of it at all... Luckily I've never had friends or family develop cancer but I'd not wish it on anyone (and we have had our share of cancer scares in the family when initial diagnoses said it "might" be cancer).

I first started in 1988 at the age of 17 when I saw The Pogues in concert; it was an amazing show and I got very high from my first cigs. I did not think much about it then-- but I find it is all I think about now at times, at least at certain points in my day :cry:. What a horrible addiction. :sad:

I seem to recall getting very drunk every time I ever went to see Mr McGowan and co play :)

I don't agree, i have been smoking for 15 years, will be quiting soon, but i never smoke in a house, or for that manner close to people that doesn't smoke....

it has been illegal to smoke in a public indoor area now in South Africa for a loooong time now, i don't see any problem with it... Shark if you need some help go to www.emofree.com read the course and it will help you trust me it helps with anything

Not making fun of it at all... Luckily I've never had friends or family develop cancer but I'd not wish it on anyone (and we have had our share of cancer scares in the family when initial diagnoses said it "might" be cancer).

my father died of lung cancer from smoking. It isn't a pretty sight and a long terrible death. People often say "you gotta die of something" -- but there are better ways to die.

People often say "you gotta die of something"

Well that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

but there are better ways to die.

You're absolutely right.

Regards Niek

Well that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Regards Niek

Oh? show me someone who hasn't died of something:cheesy:

Or won't eventually, for that matter. ;)

I feel very sorry for all that take up smoking it is pointless and is a total waster of life money and time. How is it fair that at work people are aloud to go out for fag breaks whilst none smokers are still working?

Oh? show me someone who hasn't died of something:cheesy:

Well, there is that one guy in Israel who's been rumoured to have not died of anything...
But other stories about the same guy have him get killed and then dig himself out of his grave so there's no certainty there either.

Well, there is that one guy in Israel who's been rumoured to have not died of anything...
But other stories about the same guy have him get killed and then dig himself out of his grave so there's no certainty there either.

This is much more than a "rumor" ;).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.