I'm going to Concord early in the morning tomorrow to take my first shot at the ACTs. Wish me luck!

If anyone has some advice, let me know!

Recommended Answers

All 51 Replies

The ACTs suck.. SAT is much better, you should take that this summer too.

On the ACT, just make sure you don't get behind on time b/c they don't break down the sections like the SAT. Wake up early, get ya some brain food, and don't stress :) Good luck :)

The ACTs suck.. SAT is much better, you should take that this summer too.

On the ACT, just make sure you don't get behind on time b/c they don't break down the sections like the SAT. Wake up early, get ya some brain food, and don't stress :) Good luck :)

Yay. Good advice. Thanks! :)

The only reason I'm taking the ACT is because I'm not going out of state...

edit: for college.

Oh, most Texas schools require the SAT anyway. Take both, and see which one you like better.. ya never know how you'll score until you take it :)

Act?

Definititely take the ACT...I personally did FAR better on it compared to the SAT.

Tips:

1) BE SURE to bring a snack and water to consume during breaks.
2) Bring a watch, because the proxy place isn't required to provide a clock.
3) Don't freak out during the Science section. ALL of the information you need to know to answer the questions can be found in the text provided.
4) In the Reading sections, the answers require a lot less interpreting compared to the SAT. If you find a quesiton that you can't immediailly answer, chances are it can be found directly in the text.

commented: Thanks for the advice! :) +17

what is ACT? ~ is it an exam of some sort?
If so good luck!
We don't have ACT in England, don't blame me for my ignorance!

don't worry serenson i'm on the same wavelength :-D (or island lol)

yeah too right!
can we get an answer for this ~ or do i have to resort to wikipedia?!?

Yeah, it stands for the American Collegiate Test (I think). And the SAT stands for the Scholastic Aptitude Test. Most colleges prefer one or the other or both.

I took both and the math section on the ACT was rediculously easy. I had a perfect on that part, you'll do fine. The science part I found a little bit more difficult than I expected because it was all based on the information they give you. It's almost another reading section. I was pressured for time in the reading and science sections so try to pace yourself and read at a steady pace. On the SAT I didn't feel pressured for time at all so don't worry so much when you take that one. A lot of the sentence fixes (I'm sure there's a better name for them but you know what I mean), just say the sentence in your head and the mistake will normally jump right out at you. Don't look too closely at it, read the sentence as a whole instead of just each underlined portion. Chances are the mistake in one underlined portion will be revealed from a different part of the sentence.

When I took the SAT I didn't bring a snack and it lasted like 4.5 hours. So I said, "I'll be fine, I'm not that hungry." Then I got back from the break and the first question was something like, "The gastric juices were rumbling in Bob's stomach because of his hunger." and that just made me laugh.

We do SATS. not sure what it stands for, at 11 and 13/14 (?) Count for absolutly.... nothing lol. GCSE's and Alevels are where it's at! :D

yeah SATS are nothing, they force us to do them, it predicts are GCSE grades or summit!
Totally agree with you HBK with the GCSE and AS/A levels are where uni's look at, and the most important!

Definititely take the ACT...I personally did FAR better on it compared to the SAT.

Tips:

1) BE SURE to bring a snack and water to consume during breaks.
2) Bring a watch, because the proxy place isn't required to provide a clock.
3) Don't freak out during the Science section. ALL of the information you need to know to answer the questions can be found in the text provided.
4) In the Reading sections, the answers require a lot less interpreting compared to the SAT. If you find a quesiton that you can't immediailly answer, chances are it can be found directly in the text.

Thanks for the good and detailed advice!
:)

Where are you planning on going to college?

college rocks compared to high school.

I have a whole year left.

i'm sorry.

Yeah, it's sad. (Where do you guys get the smiley faces from? I need one that looks all sad.)

if you go to advanced there's a million of them

Go girl, go !! Don't forget to show them a print out of your Daniweb certificate...

Well I just got back from taking my ACTs, and it was pretty hard. :( I hope I did okay.

But I took everyone's advice... and 'Stein, you helped a bunch. You were right about the Science questions!

Where are you planning on going to college?

Bluefield State College and Moutain State University

I have a whole year left.

Me too :'(

Go girl, go !! Don't forget to show them a print out of your Daniweb certificate...

Aww... thanks for the support.

what do you think your score was?

It's hard to tell.
Bad.

don't say that, i bet u done good!
Think positive, get positive! :)

I was shooting for a 30 when I took it. I ended up getting a 29, but I can't be to upset about that.

Yea, I got a 29 on the ACT after taking it once.. took the SAT twice, once in the summer before senior year, and once in november of senior year.. total combined was like 2146 or somethn..

The SAT splits their sections up better so that you don't really have to worry about time.. and there isn't a "science" (reading graphs) section in the SAT.. I liked the SAT a lot better.. probably b/c I had been preparing for it longer via the psat and stuff

29 is really good.

2146? I thought they could only be in multiples of 10.

I dunno what it was exactly, I said something around that.. 2100 something or other.. I'm personally just glad its over, and I never have to take the stupid thing again :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.