currently im studying Java 6, and im using Notepad++ for programming, im just wondering if in this way, i could learn programming with java better than using a full blown IDE?

:confused:

i have a JCreator but i dont want to use it, cuz i decided to use Notepad++ instead, but if using IDE like JCreator is better, i would use it...i dont have any problems with Notepad++ yet, perhaps im still confortable using it XD

but i really need a suggestion for good :confused:
thanks..:x

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

In general I would go with an IDE made for your language you study. It usually has some handy features like syntax highlighting, error detection, code completion, context sensitive popup help and so on, that make learning easier.

I definitely agree with Lardmeister I am learning Java right now and I also have a beginners experience in Python. Having an IDE definitely helps.

I've heard that it's better to learn how to use the compiler from the command prompt first, then use an IDE to be more productive. I say do whatever makes you more comfortable. :)

Use emacs.

If you want to learn and be more productive, use an IDE. However, using Notepad++ can be a challenge at times.. but hey, challenges improve your skills.

Using an IDE shows that you are "weak" in that you need auto-completion, syntax highlighting, etc... :icon_rolleyes:

I've found that learning a language can be easier with and IDE because of the aforementioned features. On the other hand, if your eye can parse code fairly well, you might find that you prefer a text editor. It's really a personal choice.

well, im not really used to just pure Notepad,and auto completion makes typing slow for me,but i like syntax highlighting, esp. highlighting style of Notepad++, so i guess it's really a personal choice, im sticking up with Notepad++, cuz my eyes are comfortable with it..=/

Using an IDE shows that you are "weak" in that you need auto-completion, syntax highlighting, etc...

I don't think using all of the tools available means you're weak. Programming is hard enough as it is, so why not get all the help you can? :)

commented: Couldn't agree more hammie! +11

it is especially hard when you are trying to learn the language. Using an IDE shows you how the language works, and helps you learn it.

>I don't think using all of the tools available means you're weak.
I believe Infarction was being sarcastic.

I don't feel that I really got comfortable with C++ until I ditched visual studio and used a text editor.

I don't feel that I really got comfortable with C++ until I ditched visual studio and used a text editor.

Ditto for me with C. On the other hand, with Java and C#, I always preferred an IDE.

Ok, i change my mind, i use my JCreator now..=/

Ok, i change my mind, i use my JCreator now..=/

Ah, well.

It has been awhile but I started to use JCreator and it is pretty nice. It is much better than the IDE I used in python. The only annoying thing about it is if i want to run a file of some sorts it will only let me run one at a time. It is very inconvenient to have to close the file window every time you are done to open a new one.

IDEs hamper learning. Most people using them to learn a language end up learning the IDE instead of the language and get into serious trouble as soon as they're presented with a situation where they don't have access to that specific IDE.

if they are serious about learning the language and don't want an easy fix by it doing it for them, but do like certain features of an IDE than there is no reason why IDE's hamper leaning. Highlighting of key words helps you recognize them and learn them better. Showing you errors helps you learn to recognize them better. An IDE is very beneficial to learning.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.