After a few hours of programming, sometimes even just after two hours, my head feels like it's exploding and I feel I just can't think straight anymore. What do you do to clear your head so that you can tackle the next problem?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Make the office a round of tea.
Sort my desk.
Just look out the window for a few minutes.
Stand up and do some stretching.

The rule of thumb is: you should vary your focus and flex your shoulders and back about once an hour.

just anything that's different from being in the zone basically.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I don't program much, only for fun after school. It's a break from learning about metaphors similes and English grammar. I did a work experience in like I.T but it was horribly boring.

But that's what I'm doing mostly now. Studying English lang. Yay.

Try to hyperventilate for a few minutes! Stop before you get too spaced out!

Try to hyperventilate for a few minutes! Stop before you get too spaced out!

English is not my mothertongue could you explain hyperventilate for me?

To hyperventilate is to breath deeply and deliberately in and out (hopefully fresh air) many times in the row. It is best to sit down when you do this, because you can fall over if you overdo! It will give you a cheap and healthy rush! Fresh air is the opium of the masses!

Another thing, don't smoke, if you want your brain to work! Tobacco smoke contains a fair amount of carbon monoxide that makes your blood tired and your brain lame!

You're going to need: Lemsip, paracetamol, whiskey, cloves, hot water and lemons.
Being sick of programming is like being sick regularily, right?

Hahehe, leave it to an Irishman to suggest whiskey!

Another thing, don't smoke, if you want your brain to work! Tobacco smoke contains a fair amount of carbon monoxide that makes your blood tired and your brain lame!

I don't smoke

You're going to need: Lemsip, paracetamol, whiskey, cloves, hot water and lemons.
Being sick of programming is like being sick regularily, right?

I don't drink and don't take medication unless it's necessary. Besides I wouldn't consider it being sick of programming, it's just that after concentrating for a while my head is so full, there is no more place for any thoughts.

If you do a lot of learning, eat a tuna fish sandwich a few hours ahead. Tuna fish contains proteins that help your brain. Don't eat too much, it is best to be mildly hungry when studying.

I think the best way to clear up a tired brain is exercise!!! Do you have an exercise room in your building? Go to the gymn, run for 30 minutes. The circulation is faster and makes the blood in your brain flow faster too. So, if there's some blood that's slowing down in your brain, it gets pushed around with exercise!!!
Get a vacation as needed.
Walk around the block?
Put a warm compress at the base of your neck. The heat encourages stimulation of the blood and possibly if you could, take a cat nap. When you wake up, you'd feel refreshed.

I think the best way to clear up a tired brain is exercise!!! Do you have an exercise room in your building? Go to the gymn, run for 30 minutes. The circulation is faster and makes the blood in your brain flow faster too. So, if there's some blood that's slowing down in your brain, it gets pushed around with exercise!!!
Get a vacation as needed.
Walk around the block?
Put a warm compress at the base of your neck. The heat encourages stimulation of the blood and possibly if you could, take a cat nap. When you wake up, you'd feel refreshed.

not sure my boss would approve of a half hour break to go to the gym every two hours
but I'll try some exerciese or walk for ten minutes and see if that helps

>> Hahehe, leave it to an Irishman to suggest whiskey!
Next time you have a cold/flu try that!

Okay, I am going raid my dad's liquor cabinet!

Heh.
Two stolen doughnuts and thirty years later you're gonna thank me :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.