I might have an idea how to get newbies to use code-tags:
Why don't you replace the (rather vague) # symbol in the replybox with the word "code" or "code-tags". Some other forums I visit have this and it appears that they have a better newbie/codetag ratio :)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Okay, I'll try it. I'll see if I can come up with a button that mimics what it says in the editor watermark so newbies can associate the two.

Oh, also, can you take a screenshot for me of the editor page of a forum that does this? Thanks!

Oh, also, can you take a screenshot for me of the editor page of a forum that does this? Thanks!

See attached!

Implemented. :)

Implemented. :)

Alright, what do I need to do to see it then. All I see is a distorted version of the #

Clear your browser cache.

Ooh fancy, i like it a lot. Its really going to make it helpful for the newbies. I can remember my first posts trying to work out code tags (i did get it right first post so didnt annoy anyone at least) but as it was my first time at a forum it did confuse me for a while.

Hopefully it helps!

> Clear your browser cache.

Any reasons why you are not sending appropriate HTTP cache headers?

> Clear your browser cache.

Any reasons why you are not sending appropriate HTTP cache headers?

If we had no-cache headers with our traffic levels bandwidth usage would be completely out of control.

If we had no-cache headers with our traffic levels bandwidth usage would be completely out of control.

I never said 'no-cache' headers; I said 'appropriate' cache headers. :-)

Seriously, there are a couple of ways to prevent this problem. You might want to set a header which checks for ETags or the fresheness of resources before downloading them. Or you might take the simple approach of renaming your files on every deployment and you can be rest assured that the updated resources *would* be downloaded by the browser automatically. Food for thought in case you are interested:

- Version your CSS and Javascript files
- Caching tutorial
- Cahing javascript safely

-sos

I manually send ETags on php files that generate images, such as attachments or member certificates. Renaming files ... I typically do that with JavaScript files but sometimes it's hard with images like the code tag icon, whose path is hardcoded in numerous places within the vBulletin code for the various editors within the vB system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.