I'm just curious -- how long would it take someone to find the snippet I had in mind armed with the information I provided in this thread?

I wrote some code to do this and put it in the snippets. If you want a look at it, good luck searching!

• How many tries at search terms and other things to narrow it down does it take you?
  • Did you use the "obvious" search methods, or use "tricks" like I resort to when I search DaniWeb?
  • Any other observations regarding a search of DaniWeb in like manner for other relatively specific posts or information?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi Dave,

Your snippets weren't hard for me to find because in 'site search' under 'thread prefixes' there is an option that says 'code snippets'. Combined with entering your username in the username to search for field, it wasn't very hard at all to find your snippets. Also, as an aside, I've usually found daniweb pretty easy to search, the interface is pretty standard and I do like how you can search by type of thread like that.

I'm just curious -- how long would it take someone to find the snippet I had in mind armed with the information I provided in this thread?

• How many tries at search terms and other things to narrow it down does it take you?
  • Did you use the "obvious" search methods, or use "tricks" like I resort to when I search DaniWeb?
  • Any other observations regarding a search of DaniWeb in like manner for other relatively specific posts or information?

Three clicks. Click on your user name, which takes you to the User Profile, then from there, cllick on Code Snippets. In your case, that brings up about 40. If you named it something obvious, I can figure out which one. I completely skip the search engine since I can't seem to specify "Dave Sinkula", then "Code Snippets", then a key word.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.