Hi and I often use daniweb on computers with an internet speed of around 2kbps to 24kbps to 64kbps and when using daniweb while on 2kbps and 24kbps compared to other sites like google and phpfreaks, daniweb takes a long time to load (~2mins). My suggestion is would it be possible to give members the option to disable all graphics? This would make daniweb much faster when using it on a dialup computer. Thanks...

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

That seems like a lot of work for dani for a very small number of users to benefit.. And also, once the images are in the cache it should load faster

And also, once the images are in the cache it should load faster

Ya would think so but for some reason it doesn't. Wierd.
Also is it just dani that does all of this work or is there a team? There must be a team is there? The only other easier option which would be less work for dani would be to have a clone site with a low/no pictures on its interface. I always liked the interface daniweb has but on 2kbps it is as slow as.

Close to the answer. The only thing is it appears we would need to open the full thread then open a printable version. Would it be possible to have 2 options where first is where threads open in printable view automatically and second option for forum categories automatically appear in printable view without having to keep on changing the url? So basically 2 options that set the default view to printable view. Would that be possible?

You could use the printable version?

Most browsers allow a custom css to take precedence on all pages. You could create one that would not show anything you don't want to see.

There's no team -- I do all of the development work myself.

A lot of images are loaded from the CSS so a custom CSS would actually do the trick.

In the future, we do have plans to eventually have a mobile version of the site. However, it's not a priority right now.

commented: +1 +0

There's no team -- I do all of the development work myself.

Amazing the amount of work you have accomplished. And to think the site was all done by one person plus the mods. Good job.

A lot of images are loaded from the CSS so a custom CSS would actually do the trick.

Would that mean all that would need to be done is to have an option to load a different css sheet which doesn't use images? To me it sounds like an easy job but being vbulletin I'm not sure weather there are any hard parts.

Yeah, i asked for a PDA friendly version a few years ago.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.