Just a thought or a suggestion for you Dani et. al. If the last post is older than X number of days old (say 30), remove the reply box and in its place, put a button/link that says something like "Would you like to start a new thread that references this one?", and of course they would be taken to the post new thread page for the forum and the first line in the edit box would be, In reference to "This Thread:Thread Title Name", which of course would actually be the BB code for the link back to the thread being referenced.

Bonus... Only the OP can resurrect the thread... (like I'm about to do... that is if I can find it...)

Just a thought...

EDIT: During my search I see that this has been brought up before... http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread265375.html

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

nah, just requiring all posts by people with less than 20 (say) posts to be moderator approved would do far more good.
Combined with strict requirements: no zombies, no homework kiddos, no spammers, no flypaper, no thread hijacking.
Any of those gets you a warning, 3 warnings in those first 20 posts and your account is blocked.

commented: kill all homework-spamming zombies +0
Member Avatar for diafol

> nah, just requiring all posts by people with less than 20 (say) posts to be moderator approved would do far more good.
Combined with strict requirements: no zombies, no homework kiddos, no spammers, no flypaper, no thread hijacking.
Any of those gets you a warning, 3 warnings in those first 20 posts and your account is blocked.

My God man, can you be serious? Implementing such draconian measures would mean a clean, easy to use site! That would never work.

However seeing 750,000 drop to 30 would be a much easier number to quote in future posts. Thirty, IMO, is the approximate number of people on DW that don't fall into jw's 'should be blocked' category.

nah, 745000 of those 750000 would never reach 3 warnings as they never place 3 posts.
Most keep it at 1, 2 at most :)

760,572 members :?:

But how many are active members??

Ardav hinted at 30, which may be about right if you don't count the hundreds of one day flies creating accounts to post some spam or a homework question and never being seen again.

Should these "one time" posters be deleted to get a true idea of the number of users? Or is the 1M user mark something to brag about :) ?

Maybe they can be "deleted" in a way that if they come back wondering where their account went it could be "reactiviated"?

Dave

I was a long time ago member of a forum where you needed to be active (meaning reply or start a thread at least 1 per month) otherwise the account was closed.
I'm no member of that forum anymore for several years. Can't even remember the forums url.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.